Forum sponsored by Dremel

A Tug of two halfs

My scratch build of James P. Woods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Roger Clark24/04/2019 22:12:17
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Eddie, glad to hear your boat didn't sink without a trace and you found the leak. It'll be interesting how close my tug comes to your ballasting, I'm still of a mind to make mine sit lower in the water though,but we will see.

SWIMBO had other ideas for my time today, plus it's been a wet one over here in Herefordshire but not enough to float anything significant though. I did manage to get another batch of planks cut and caulked ready for tomorrow so hopefully I'll complete the decking of the hull.

The outline of your hull looks great smiley even if it is hanging off a washing line laugh

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 24/04/2019 22:13:48

Roger Clark25/04/2019 16:03:11
250 forum posts
88 photos

Well, another milestone (knotstone?) has been reached today smiley

img_20190425_153537.jpg

The decking is complete!!

img_20190425_153548.jpg

A second one just to show how ropey it is crying

I do intend to weather the decking as befits a working vessel but I did have an element of bleed from the paper used for the caulking but that's how we learn. I'll do a coat of sanding sealer which will stiffen up the wood and paper fibres and give it a quick rub down and the some weather stain (it silvers up the wood) and then another coat or two of sanding sealer then some satin varnish rubbed down with very fine paper to take the shine off.

Anyway sit and relax and let the backpain go away. smiley

Regards

Roger

Ray Wood 225/04/2019 18:40:46
2418 forum posts
849 photos

Hi Roger,

Beware the multiple coats of sanding sealer, I fell into this trap on my Spanish fishing boat and it cracks badly ! I would stain your planks before sealing them they look really white at the moment, Burmese Teak Coloron works for me 😀

Regards Ray

Roger Clark25/04/2019 20:46:05
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Ray, thanks for the warning, saves me a bit of work then wink, but teak?, Burmese Teak!!!! What do you think my little tugger cap'n earns? He can only just afford to have his barnacles cleaned off and a coat of paint every 5 or so years!

Truth be told I don't know what timber they would have used?

Regards

Roger

Roger Clark27/04/2019 16:56:38
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi All, another entry in the build, put a coat of primer on the hull, not too displeased with the fiinish, some areas need attention but not as much as I feared.Thought I'd bash on with the superstructure for a change. smiley

img_20190427_160532.jpg

Got it clamped up while gluing smiley

img_20190427_160548.jpg

The view from the stern

img_20190427_160605.jpg

and a full broadside, I decided to stray from the plan on the topside, it's surprising how accessible the inside is with the sides on, just might make all this permanent or semi-permanent and just have the top deck removable, we'll decide later on, any comments on this guys, oh and gals. laugh

I found that American white oak was often used for the main deck on tugs of this era so I think that is what I shall go for, also I think I will use two 6 volt 3.2 Ah or 6 Ah batteries depending on what will fit without disturbing the C O G too much. I'll make up boxes containing lead to the relevant sizes when I'm ready for ballasting and do some roll recovery tests.

Hey I'm sounding like a pro here laugh, It's only from reading and taking onboard advice from you allwink.

Regards

Roger

Eddie Lancaster27/04/2019 17:52:47
843 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Roger, all looking good, I have used natural oak water based outdoor varnish on my decks,one coat just takes it down a shade,i will try a second coat on a piece under the grating at the stern later, then if it is too dark I will leave the rest as it is.

Have been busy with masking tape, newspaper, spray cans and brushes, nearly finished painting the hull now, only the inside of the gunwales to finish with the brush.

I have been to Lincoln today to the Mobile Marine open day I now have the prop.4 blade 60mm dia. and the portholes,and I have made the cutter to fit them into the sides of the engine house. The lead shot for ballast should be here next week, as soon as that is in I can start the final fitting out.

Regards.

Eddie.

Roger Clark28/04/2019 16:40:05
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Eddie, thanks, I only realised today that I started this build just over a month ago,seems like I've been doing it forever!

I've done a mock-up to try and get perspective of the final build, been using Invincible as part of the style:

Invincible.jpg

And this is my mock-up, Cowl vents to be added smiley:

Mock-up.jpg

So any thoughts, comments, advice anyone? (Other than my grandson could draw better laugh)

Regards

Roger

Eddie Lancaster28/04/2019 21:49:27
843 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Roger, with a build like this, not based on any existing boat, anything goes, so whatever takes your fancycheeky.

Eddie.

Roger Clark28/04/2019 22:05:30
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Eddie, OK that's it I'll glue it up and run as is laugh

Roger Clark30/04/2019 19:46:58
250 forum posts
88 photos

A bit more progress made, filled and rubbed down the hull and another coat of filler primer and some more work on the superduper-structure:

img_20190430_184333.jpg

Funnel is just spot glued to get correct rake:

img_20190430_184351.jpg

img_20190430_184408.jpg

Gone with a different version rooflight:

img_20190430_184420.jpg

As the speaker underneath will be a waterproof one I might leave the little porthole vents with no glazing.

Really enjoying this part of the build smiley

Think I've settled on the colour scheme, red lower hull, black upper hull and primer colour for topsides, I do have a precedent smiley

tug no 16.jpg

That's it for now folks, going to concentrate on the wheelhouse next.

See you soon

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 30/04/2019 19:49:54

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor