Forum sponsored by Dremel

A Tug of two halfs

My scratch build of James P. Woods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Eddie Lancaster22/04/2019 20:15:58
843 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Roger, I think the planking is just fine at that width, at 1/35 scale that is just under 3/8" to the foot so any wider and it would be over scale.That rudder support looks good,mine is just a piece of brass screwed to the bottom of the keel, but my keels are 1/8" ply.

I have taken the opportunity to get the first primer coat of paint on the hull today, I am now busy finding and filling all the imperfections that you couldn't see when the hull was bare.

Regards.

Eddie.

Roger Clark22/04/2019 21:02:44
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Eddie, thanks, I wasn't sure at first but it has grown on me now. Once I have the decking completed I'll primer fill and undercoat the hull then build the bulwarks and the superstructure.

Now that my steel line has finally turned up I will machine the quadrants and set up the rudder. I still need to make a bracket for the motor and am thinking it will have to be a wrap round, I don't think the screws holding the gearbox on would take the pressure somehow.

Regards

Roger

Roger Clark22/04/2019 22:32:44
250 forum posts
88 photos

Eddie, what make is your sound module? I was looking at the Action one but don't know if it will work with 50A Marine Boat ESC Electric Speed Controller from Howes.

Cheers

Roger

Eddie Lancaster23/04/2019 09:11:34
843 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Roger, Its by Forge-Electronics sold by Scalewarship, it's the combo sound unit Mk3. You will also need a speaker from Technobots, it uses a separate battery to drive the speaker,I am using a PP3 9 volt.

Eddie.

Eddie Lancaster23/04/2019 14:04:24
843 forum posts
644 photos

Fresh out of the paint shop, well the garden, the 2nd. coat of primer and more filling and rubbing down to do.

dscf3464.jpg

dscf3465.jpg

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 23/04/2019 14:05:49

Roger Clark23/04/2019 14:22:32
250 forum posts
88 photos

Looking good, like the colour wink, I'm getting on with the planking today between family and friends interruptions, over half way on the deck now so downhill from now on smiley.

I will get the ESC and sound module plus speaker, oh and probably a servo if I can't find mine.

Regards

Roger

Eddie Lancaster23/04/2019 21:04:51
843 forum posts
644 photos

I had thought about leaving the topside that colour but have decided to keep to my original colour scheme.dscf3466.jpg

More filler.dscf3468.jpg

The first coat of the final below the water line colour,it will be left matt with a protective coat of matt lacquer.

dscf3472.jpg

Even more filler,but it's not quite as bad as it looks.

dscf3474.jpg

After rubbing down again not much of the filler is left. The next coat of paint will show if anymore filling is needed.

Eddie.

Roger Clark23/04/2019 22:15:05
250 forum posts
88 photos

I must admit Eddie Those colours are growing on me smiley, my problem is I have bought yellow primer, red undercoat, satin black and lacquer top coat and feel I'm in danger of being a copy cat!!! but yours is coming on finelaugh.

Had a welcome donation of over 20Kgs of lead this evening, very welcome indeed.

The plan tomorrow is to complete the planking and maybe to get a coat of primer onto the hull and see how much filler I will need. sad. lets see if the weather will be favourable.

Regards

Roger

Eddie Lancaster24/04/2019 20:43:46
843 forum posts
644 photos

Hi. Roger, don't worry about your colour scheme mine will be red, green and black, based on SS Master.

I put mine on the pond today to find out how much ballast would be needed to get it down to the design water line,but disaster, it started to fill with water, after a hasty removal from the pond and a quick look around i spotted a smallish hole above the prop shaft were it leaves the hull, when I joined the two halves together I used 24 hour epoxy to give plenty of time to get all the clamps on, and I think the epoxy must have slumped around the shaft leaving a passage for the water to get through, anyway a bit of 5 min epoxy worked into the hole and allowed to seep down seemed to do the trick.

dscf3477 (2).jpg

Luckily the neighbours can't see my washing line!

It needed 5900 grams to get it down to the line, but motor and battery weigh 1500g the engine house and wheelhouse weigh 1000g leaving 3400g of lead.

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 224/04/2019 21:22:36
2418 forum posts
849 photos

Hi Eddie,

That doesn't sound a lot of lead ! But I suppose they sit quite high in the water as drawn.

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor