Forum sponsored by Dremel

A Tug of two halfs

My scratch build of James P. Woods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Roger Clark19/04/2019 18:47:11
250 forum posts
88 photos

Thanks Eddie, looks like tomorrow is a poxing day then seeing as I can't play boats 'cause I haven't got one yet sniff sniff crying. I'm using Eze-kote it shouldn't take too long.

What sanding sealer and varnish do you use Eddie?

Regards Roger

Eddie Lancaster20/04/2019 09:09:52
843 forum posts
644 photos

Hi. Roger, get that job out of the way and the decking done and the hull is well on its way.

The sanding sealer is the aircraft dope type, thin it slightly then it will penetrate into the balsa, and three coats is enough with a light sanding between each coat, the varnish is Ronseal outdoor.

The Kerne tug has a painted steel deck, but I was sure I had seen a video of it with a wooden deckfrown but the Daniel Adamson is scrubbed wood and it has two decks the same as ours.

I will be spraying the first primer coats onto the hull this weekend. I use Halfords high build primer for the first coats and then follow on with red or grey depending on the top coat colour.

Regards

Eddie.

Roger Clark20/04/2019 15:05:33
250 forum posts
88 photos

What a lovely day for getting glassed!!! smiley

img_20190420_142253.jpg

img_20190420_142305.jpg

img_20190420_142319.jpg

img_20190420_142340.jpg

I'll do a light sanding and then a coat of primer, then I can see it needs a bit of filler.

Went relatively well for a first fiberglassing job, Eze-Kote did make it easier but still had to slice some dry areas and restick but all in all I'm quite pleased with the result.

Time for a beverage I think.

Regards Roger

Eddie Lancaster20/04/2019 15:16:09
843 forum posts
644 photos

Have been busy putting finishing touches to the hull.

dscf3453.jpg

Rails and gunwales have been fitted with the vertical supports, quadrants have been made and fitted for the new rudder control system.

dscf3454.jpg

I have cut and fitted a 1/16"ply capping to the top of the gunwales, it will give a smooth surface to paint and add a bit more strength to that area.

dscf3455.jpg

Separate pieces were fitted at the stern and bows and then two more pieces fitted down the sides.

dscf3456.jpg

dscf3458.jpg

The same technique was applied to the engine house deck to cover the top edge of the balsa sides, but using 1/32" ply.

dscf3459.jpg

Decking being applied.

dscf3462.jpg

Decking finished and ready for sealing and finishing.

Eddie

Eddie Lancaster20/04/2019 15:21:27
843 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Roger you must have put your last post on as I was composing mine, its looking good.You are on a roll nowsmiley.

Regards.

Eddie.

Roger Clark20/04/2019 16:48:55
250 forum posts
88 photos

Cheers Eddie, yours looks cracking, if mine ends up anywhere nears yours I'll be really pleased. smiley

Regards Roger

Tim Rowe20/04/2019 20:49:46
564 forum posts
562 photos

Yours is going to look great Roger.

Tim R

Roger Clark20/04/2019 21:03:27
250 forum posts
88 photos

Cheers Tim, trying to learn all I can from my peers. smiley

Eddie Lancaster20/04/2019 21:49:57
843 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Roger,I agree with Tim, you have got the hard bit out of the way now, the rest of the build is fairly straight forward and you will have a good looking boat to enjoy.

Regards.

Eddie.

Roger Clark22/04/2019 16:38:52
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Eddie, hard bit? the hard bit is motivating my planking team, flippin wasters wink

img_20190422_160912.jpg

I decided to edge with planks as well, don't like seeing the ends of planks exposed. I.ve also steam bent the first Bulwark support, I'll finish planking this half then start the other side, phew!

A bit of brasswork for a change:

img_20190422_160959.jpg

Not fixed in yet, a little bit of fettling to do to tidy it up but getting there.

Have to finish for the day now, back's playing me up big time. sad but a productive day. Looking at the deck I should have gone with wider planking but that was all I had. The walls are going to be ply and I'm going with a different style of roof light just because I can.smiley

Regards Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 22/04/2019 17:14:34

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Shrek
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor