Forum sponsored by Dremel

A Tug of two halfs

My scratch build of James P. Woods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Roger Clark10/04/2019 16:40:41
250 forum posts
88 photos

It's looking really good Eddie, I think I will vary the design just to be different smiley, might still be a mix from various tugs though, as they are steamers I think some big vents are required and I might change the rubbing strakes as well.

Are you going to buy or build the stanchions? Does seem a bit of a hassle to try to make them as per the article.

Are you building the rudder from wood then? I thought of making mine from brass shaped and wood bonded on possibly with a brass edging for protection or is that going too far?

I'm thinking of building the funnel out of copper tube with brass strapping and capping, will be painted of course.

I've just finished planking the 2 halves and am rubbing down, I'll post some piccies once they've been to the altar and been marriedlaugh

Cheers

Roger

Ray Wood 210/04/2019 20:37:42
2357 forum posts
829 photos

Hi Roger,

Looks like your rudder will be unbalanced as the drawing, this makes the steering servo work much harder, here is the rudder on my Cullamix 1/8th copper , works well with a quadrant and cables from the bridge.

Regards Raycullamix 5 12 005.jpg

Roger Clark10/04/2019 21:28:41
250 forum posts
88 photos

Thanks Ray, do you have a photo of the top part of the rudder setup please? What do you use for the cables, is the rod linkage @ hobbies the one?

've got 1/8th brass and some suitable brass tubing and 1/8th brass rod, it'll go the full length of the rudder and be strapped and silver soldered as I don't think soft solder would take the strain.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want muck up on this and I'm not really finding clear answers on't interweb.

The article seems to use a lot of 0.5 mm material, both ply and strip, I've not seen any of this around, most of the stripwood seems to start at 1.5/6 mm. It's not really a problem as I can steam and bent 1.6 easily.

I'm of a mind to use either basswood or spruce on the decking, any thoughts anybody?

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 10/04/2019 21:35:15

Ray Wood 210/04/2019 21:54:21
2357 forum posts
829 photos

Hi Roger,

If you can put the tiller and linkage under the deck it's easiest route, the cable steering on Cullamix on the deck with rollers is such a feature of the real thing I had to do it and because the "tug men" at my club said it wouldn't work ! Red Ray to a bull stuff and it does work with stainless steel fishing trace. Photos in my album 😀

Regards Ray

Don't worry about metric sizes we are going back to imperial soon 😯

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 10/04/2019 22:00:55

Roger Clark10/04/2019 22:34:28
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Ray, I did look at Cullamix, once I found it (really need to do some sorting) laugh. Couldn't see any of the tiller though.

There's no way that the tiller will go under the deck, it's 'solid' balsa so it will have to hide under the grating. I guess I will have to take some copper tube through the frames and and up through the deck and then connect to the tiller as in crossing the 'T'. That should give me enough movement for 30 degrees each way. Have to order up some trace wire, 120lb do ok Ray?

Cheers

Roger

Ray Wood 210/04/2019 22:47:55
2357 forum posts
829 photos

cullamix 231017 006.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 10/04/2019 22:48:37

Ray Wood 210/04/2019 22:51:25
2357 forum posts
829 photos

Hi Roger

Mecanno pulley used, 30 lbs ss trace, not much force needed to steer.

Regards Ray

Roger Clark10/04/2019 22:56:26
250 forum posts
88 photos

Ah right see what you mean, are the 2 other pulleys sail type ones?

Regards

Roger

BTW nice work smiley

Ray Wood 211/04/2019 08:22:17
2357 forum posts
829 photos

cullamix 231017 002.jpgHi Roger

All the pulleys are home brewed, turned the pulleys, 1/32" brass folded and drilled, 1/16" brass rivet in the middle, 3/64th rivets to the deck & super glued. The stainless fishing trace is plastic coated and works well. The trace is fixed to the big Meccano pulley it doe'nt have enough tension to use only friction, It should of course be a quadrant but it can't be seen under the rear timber grating  

Regards Raycullamix pulleys 161017 003.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 11/04/2019 08:25:09

Eddie Lancaster11/04/2019 09:00:50
807 forum posts
604 photos

Hi. Roger and Ray, I am a bit concerned about the lack of balance area in front of the rudder, but I am following the drawing, I am going to use a larger than usual quadrant on the rudder and a metal geared high power servo from Howes. The rudder will be from wood as have all the rudders for my boats to date.

The stanchions will be Caldercraft 30mm 2 rail from Cornwall MB.

I have been looking at the SS Master a 1926 steam tug on youtube, the steering on that runs to the outside of the rails then around to the stern onto a quadrant on the rudder.

I also like the colour scheme of that tug.

If I was building this boat again I would use bass wood for the decks and not fit them until the hull was at the stage that mine is at now.

Regards.

Eddie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor