My scratch build of James P. Woods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Roger Clark03/04/2019 19:45:57
250 forum posts
88 photos

Well, at risk of being told I'm rubbish here's a photo of progress so far frown

img_20190403_163252.jpg

Didn't do a great job on the first half but I'll see how the second half goes and maybe try a couple of tins of car filleryes and see how it looks then, might save on lead for displacement!!, and it's Christmas laugh, kind of.

img_20190403_163440.jpg

a couple of motors courtesy of Ray, Thank you Ray, a 261mm propshaft, 55mm prop and a water intake/outlet kit, just to look good wink. Ordered a 1 x 2M piece of fiberglass from the site we all know and love and got a 1M2 piece, not happy, waiting to see what they want to do, refund or send part 2. I'm assuming that Deluxe Products brand are the usual suppliers for this product (they weren't the seelers by the way).

Need to get some more bits yet, 20amp motor controller, uj, battery plus other leccys.

Regards

Rog

Ray Wood 203/04/2019 21:26:27
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Roger,

You are cracking on well, you may want to make some access to the forward compartments for ballast so you can trim her fore and aft so you spread the load on the hull. You also need to see how much of the bulkheads need cutting out for the motor to sit down low enough.

Regards Ray

Roger Clark03/04/2019 21:56:19
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Ray,

Thanks, I'm hoping to have my battery pack, once I know what to get size and type, and then I can test out placement before marrying up the 2 halves. Theres only one frame that could be opened up but there would be little space in there.

What's usually used for the control wires for the rudder? wire in tube? if so what size do I need as it will be a big rudder?

It seems ages since the last mag, I have taken out subs but don't know if we get the mag through the door earlier than they come out in the shops.

Regards

Rog

Ray Wood 203/04/2019 22:12:11
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Roger

I would use 16g brass rods with RC aeroplane clevises for with a double push-pull arrangement onto a double tiller from the servo.

As your equipped for engineering this won't take you long 😊

Regards Ray

Roger Clark04/04/2019 14:15:27
250 forum posts
88 photos

Haha, I'll have to look into my stock, I suspect my brass stock is a mite larger than that, need to get some smaller gauge wire anyway. Ooh I might be able to borrow a bit from my Löschkreuzer Weser kit.

Regards

Rog

Roger Clark07/04/2019 15:32:22
250 forum posts
88 photos

I'm trundling on slowly, found a video of railroad tug pics extracted from a web site, quite interesting for any closet tuggers lurking out there. wink

The website the photos come from is tugboats@yahoo.com

Further info available from Tugboats Enthusiasts Society, these are US tugs of all different types and sizes

Quick question, is the Gorilla foaming glue of any use in modelling?

Rog

Ray Wood 207/04/2019 17:21:45
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Roger,

The video clip just made your model take a lot longer !! Fantastic details on the real thing for you to incorporate and the working color schemes are so varied , makes the prototype in the MB look too clinical ? But they look great 👍 damn may have put one on my list of stuff to build !! 😀.

Regards Ray

Roger Clark08/04/2019 10:36:30
250 forum posts
88 photos

Aaaw heck Ray, I thought they were all shades of grey, I've gone colour blind crying I'm spoilt for choice now!!!

Not sure how I'm going to do the stanchions though, have to look for ready made as I don't want to spoil the look.

Oh well onward and downward.

Hi Eddie, how's yours doing?

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 08/04/2019 10:37:38

Eddie Lancaster08/04/2019 15:09:58
846 forum posts
644 photos

Hi. Roger, it looks like we can paint our tugs any colour we like ,including black!

I have now put two layers of glass and resin on the hull I think the extra strength will be needed for such a large heavy boat, I am putting the top rubbing strips on at the moment, I will post pictures when that is done.

Now the hull is water tight I will be able to float it on the pond and work out how much lead it will need to get it down to the water line.

BTW it took 50 grams of resin to coat one side of the hull.

Regards.

Eddie.

Eddie Lancaster10/04/2019 14:52:31
846 forum posts
644 photos

dscf3444.jpg

The build so far, about ready for the first coat of paint, but need the info for the rails and gunwales first.

dscf3443.jpg

Have started on the rudder 4mm stainless for the main stock with 2mm press fitted to build the blade on.

Eddie.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor