Forum sponsored by Dremel

A Tug of two halfs

My scratch build of James P. Woods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Eddie Lancaster28/03/2019 17:48:55
846 forum posts
644 photos

Hi. Roger, just had a thought, are we talking about the same scale of tug? I am building the larger version, so all my comments refer to that larger one and the sizes I gave on the other thread are for the bigger boat.

The reduced size in the mag. is about 1/3 smaller.

Regards.

Eddie.

Roger Clark28/03/2019 17:59:37
250 forum posts
88 photos

Ha ha, yes Eddie I'm building the 1/35 version, just need to start looking for 1/35 tugboat men now. Have you finished the superstructure now? Must be getting close to paint. laugh

I am have nervous thought about upscaling a second version big enough for steam.

I will post some pprogress soon, been busy outside with this summer we're having. Trouble is my hands and knees are knackered after so can't get into the dockyard but do intend to be complete and sailing by July.

Also have a 'BEE' to complete, it's a close to half scale hot air engine from the early 1900's

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 28/03/2019 18:00:52

Eddie Lancaster28/03/2019 22:01:52
846 forum posts
644 photos

Hi. Roger, good to know we are on the same pagesmiley. Yes I am working on the first level of the superstructure, still have 50 of the 200 vertical strips to fit.

My next main job is covering the hull with glass fibre and epoxy resin, am also waiting for the next issue of MB to find out what the designer has done, paint, or stain and varnish.

Like you I am used to engineering drawings that give you all the information and dimensions to make a part or machine a casting, boat drawings leave a lot for you to fill in, one set of drawings that I am building a Thames barge from are to scale but with the full size dimensions! but its all good fun.

Regards.

Eddie.

Roger Clark28/03/2019 22:17:47
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Eddie, Are you following the designers method for building the superstructure? I'm thinking of using ply with planking on top but with a more hollow inside but I'm open to advice.

Like you I plan to cover the hull the same as you but will need to order the glass and epoxy, I'm thinking on 24gsm cloth and Zap Z-Poxy 12oz Epoxy Finishing Resin PT40, again open to advice from anyone smiley

I assume the Thames barge will be to the same scale as the tug?

I notice you said that the propshaft could have been shorter, would you have gone for the 261mm then?

Regards

Roger

Dave Milbourn28/03/2019 23:02:08
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Roger

You might find 24gsm cloth is too fragile to manhandle round compound curves. It's really best for draping over a model aircraft wing or tailplane. I prefer to use the next grade up i.e. 34gsm [1oz] for wood hulls. **LINK**

No quibbles with your choice of resin, though some prefer Eze-Kote which is water-based and so cleans up a lot easier than epoxy.

Dave M

Eddie Lancaster29/03/2019 08:42:10
846 forum posts
644 photos

Hi. Roger and Dave. Thank you for your advice Dave, luckily I have gone for the 34gsm cloth.

Roger yes I am following the designers method for the superstructure but I have added a 1/8" ply platform 3/4" below the top deck to mount the speaker for the sound unit, with all the side planking in place it is very rigid but light.

I think the 261mm propshaft will do fine , it will move the motor back giving a bit more space in front of it.

The barge is larger at 1/24 scale.

regards to you both.

Eddie.

Roger Clark29/03/2019 10:25:29
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Dave,

Thanks I'll put it on the list.

Hi Eddie,

Good idea, should act as a sound board, I think I'll concentrate on getting a serviceable boat first before adding the 'bells and whistles' so to speak. I have a number of raspberry pies and arduinos so might add in WiFi to drive the afformentioned.devil

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 29/03/2019 10:26:00

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 29/03/2019 10:27:03

Roger Clark01/04/2019 19:30:33
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Eddie,

Have you got a photo of the bow shape of the hull please? Just having a little bit of difficulty getting the shape right.

Thanks

Roger

Eddie Lancaster02/04/2019 09:12:18
846 forum posts
644 photos

Good morning Roger, I hope the following gives you the information you require.

Bow of J.P.W

Bow and top works

For a tug it appears to have a fine entry?

The photos also show the topworks so far.

Wheelhouse

Top deck

This last photo shows the speaker for the engine sound in place, the engine room vent covers it.

Regards.

Eddie.

Roger Clark02/04/2019 10:09:51
250 forum posts
88 photos

Thanks Eddie,

Looking great smiley

Roger

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor