Forum sponsored by Dremel

A Tug of two halfs

My scratch build of James P. Woods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Roger Clark03/05/2019 16:38:38
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Eddie, just looks like a load of balls laugh, sorry had to say it!!! Didn't know you could still buy lead shot with all the associated risks of lead poisoning. Hmmm must check on the wife's insurance wink. My plan is to take plugs of the ballast areas and create sand moulds to cast them.

Made my Porthole borer today:

Porthole borer.jpg

It's a touch too big but should be fine, done a bit more to the topsides but nothing worth uploading at the mo, just been sorting out my Speedy 5" gauge loco ready to sell.

Model Boat came ashore today, had a quick glance, the Barge looks about the right size for us but J P Woods hasn't really caught up with where we /you are currently cheeky.

Have a great weekend (any boating?)

Regards

Roger

Ray Wood 203/05/2019 18:46:29
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Roger,

Good work on the tug, yes glad you made the comment regarding Eddies balls 😊 let me know how you get on selling Speedy, I have a couple of locos advertised in the ME this month, did you make your own boiler ?

Regards Ray

Roger Clark03/05/2019 19:08:06
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Ray, Well someone had to, he's got so many laugh. I bought Speedy as it is, the intent being to complete it but it was going to be too much of a project for me and my skills. I bought it at the right price and have put a test certificate for double working pressure on it so any future purchaser can be confident on it's condition.

I am making my own boilers, couple of verticals and possibly 2 or 3 horizontals depending on what I build in boats.

Which is your ad then? The Maidstone ad?

Regards

Roger

Eddie Lancaster03/05/2019 21:04:11
846 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Roger, Ray, I never thought my balls would create so much interestblush.Lead shot is used by divers to get them to the bottom.

I was thinking the same that we are ahead of the articles,and that barge will look good behind our tugs.

Another photo of Master Elliott, on the water when the ballast had set,the motor is in but I forgot to put the battery in so it's a bit bows up at the moment, also I have kept back 500 grams of lead from the total required to bring down to the water line, for trimming when it is all finished.

dscf3483.jpg

Yes we go boating twice a week,Thur.and Sunday morning,I am still getting to grips with my TSB before I meet up with Ray

Regards to both. Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 03/05/2019 21:10:53

Roger Clark03/05/2019 21:35:02
250 forum posts
88 photos

And there was me thinking they ate a heavy meal beforehand laugh, don't ask me how they come back up though devil.

I'm in need of a bit of advice guys, I haven't been able to decide on a sound module yet, I've listened to the Forge one and have to say I'm not impressed, it just sounds like white noise to me! I like the Harbor module but way too expensive for me, there's one at Mr RC World that sounds really good but it doesn't match to engine speed. I just don't know what to do. It might be that I wait and look at building a solution round an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and a single sound snip.

Ray, are you giving up on locos as well now?

Regards

Roger

Ray Wood 203/05/2019 22:07:46
2484 forum posts
862 photos

Hi Roger,

Steam has always been a family interest, my grandad, dad & uncle were all engineers as a hobby, all departed now, much as I'm attached to their models, they will be no good to my grandsons as they are the next generation of Xboxers, and much as I love driving steamers I'm more into boats & aeroplanes. The locos seem to be getting heavier & there are loads more !!

Regards Ray

Roger Clark03/05/2019 22:23:00
250 forum posts
88 photos

My father was an engineer, worked on the Gloster Javelin but like me was late getting a lathe, mainly to build bits for his hobby of Lapidary, sadly passed before savouring too much of his hobby.

I do have my static engines that I'm building and am comfortable with those but really do enjoy my boat building, used to do planes, my first was a Super 60 back when I was still at school, had an ED racer and radio control but then found drink and women.... not necessarily in that orderlaugh Also found real boating, Only in the small stuff though, Enterprises, Wayfairers and a 'C' class catamaran and then bought a small speedboat that I towed behind my MGB, Aah those were the days, then I got married frown

I find my hand eye brain co-ordination lets me down a bit now which precludes flying planes and find chuffing steamers around are no longer any fun for me.

Regards

Roger

Roger Clark04/05/2019 20:12:15
250 forum posts
88 photos

Hi All, a little bit more done today, firstly a coat of sanding sealer on the deck and then some port holing in the superstructure sides prior to sealer, sanding and a coat of primer.

img_20190504_190429.jpg

img_20190504_190414.jpg

img_20190504_190349.jpg

I think it's coming together now, did have to do a mod to the bridge, the back had too much rake on it when 'leveling' the boat to the waterline so that's fixed....ish, well looks a bit better. smiley Had a delivery from Mobile Marine Models today of a ships wheel, binnacle and telegraph to furnish the bridge just waiting for a cap'n and crew to turn up now.wink see what kind of wasters I end up with!!

Isn't there anybody with some experience of sound modules that can advise me?

Constructive comments would be very welcome by the way. laugh

Regards

Roger

Eddie Lancaster05/05/2019 20:00:27
846 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Roger, Looking good now I do like that colour for the top works and I like the overhang of the top deck,I have now fitted the motor and finished the steering gear,I have used 1/8"copper tube to route the cables around the deck.

dscf3484.jpg

dscf3485.jpg

I agree that the Forge Electronics sound unit is not that convincing but what else is there?, apart from a unit from Canada for around 170$

I have now fitted the name boards and cut some hawse holes.

dscf3486.jpg

Regards.

Eddie.

Eddie Lancaster05/05/2019 20:00:27
846 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Roger, Looking good now I do like that colour for the top works and I like the overhang of the top deck,I have now fitted the motor and finished the steering gear,I have used 1/8"copper tube to route the cables around the deck.

dscf3484.jpg

dscf3485.jpg

I agree that the Forge Electronics sound unit is not that convincing but what else is there?, apart from a unit from Canada for around 170$

I have now fitted the name boards and cut some hawse holes.

dscf3486.jpg

Regards.

Eddie.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor