Forum sponsored by Dremel

A Tug of two halfs

My scratch build of James P. Woods

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Roger Clark22/03/2019 20:50:10
252 forum posts
88 photos

Please be gentle with me, this is my first boat build other than a Zwarte Zee which I'm looking for the accessory pack for and a continuation build of the Löschkreuzer Weser.

Laid the 2? keels today

img_20190322_200358.jpg

And cut the pairs of frames etc, they just need sanding to size. I used double sided tape to hold the pairs together, worked well. smiley

img_20190322_200506.jpg

What didn't work quite so well was the use of spray mount, went a bit too heavy on the keel and was a sod to get the paper off. sad

I plan to dry build the frames first and check all is ok before gluing and also to see if there is enough room for a steam plant, if not, sparks it is then.

Roger

Tim Rowe22/03/2019 23:04:22
407 forum posts
440 photos

Hi Roger

Great to see some more building going on. I use spray mount from time to time but the pukka 3M stuff is quite expensive. I have gone over to Pritt Stick or cheap equivalent which comes off quite easily especially if lightly dampened.

It is always good to plan your motor installation at the earliest possible stage so a good plan to see how it all fits before gluing. I can see this is more important with a steam installation as it will be space hungry.

If find that most framing could be slimmed down to a great extent to allow more room for machinery. It can be useful to have the strength and stiffness while the build is going on but when all planked up and the deck on, the hull will be very strong with minimal framing.

Following with interest and I like the subject.

Tim R

Roger Clark24/03/2019 12:37:07
252 forum posts
88 photos

I have found an issues with frame 7, it is too low on the deck line (sheerline?), by 5 or 6 mm.

How do these issues get highlighted?

Anyway, time for sticky bits frown

Roger

Ray Wood 224/03/2019 13:59:47
2080 forum posts
735 photos

Hi Roger,

As the plan is produced on auto cad or similar, the drawings usually a scan of the builders draft plans so will not be very exact in some respects, you just need to ad-lib and add some extra material so it fits

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster24/03/2019 14:51:54
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi. Ray and Roger, I am also building the James P. Woods, and as Ray says there are some discrepancies in the drawings, there is also a lot of differences between the drawings and the photo,s of the build, so I think we use the drawings as a guide and then just check and recheck that everything is fair before adding the deck and planking.

Regards.

Eddie.

Roger Clark24/03/2019 15:33:45
252 forum posts
88 photos

Hi both, I realize that now, guess I'm too used to engineers drawings where errors are a normally a lot smaller.

Eddie, Are you going to do a build log of yours? Only so that I can pick your brains. laugh

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 24/03/2019 15:35:10

Ray Wood 224/03/2019 16:12:36
2080 forum posts
735 photos

Hi Roger,

As you will know LBSC & Martin Evans didn't always get the dims right every time 😀 just enjoy the process , keep us posted .Regards

Eddie,

Had a great morning boating with my 2 grandsons at Bluewater, makes it all worth while 😁 and they enjoyed it.

Regards Ray

Roger Clark24/03/2019 19:56:44
252 forum posts
88 photos

Yes Ray, one of my locos is a LBSC Speedy, the other a Simplex.

Whereabouts is Bluewater? It sounds familiar!

Eddie Lancaster25/03/2019 08:19:14
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi. Roger, I wasn't planning and doing a build log, I didn't want to steal your thunder.

I seem to be a bit ahead of you as I have started on the topworks I am quite happy to pass on any thing that I think may help,For instance start to varnish the inside of the hull as you put the planks on, it will be impossible to get a brush down to the keel with all the planks on in some places, I am fitting an MFA 800 motor with belt drive reduction.

I have also increased the the length of the deck opening from frame 7 to frame 6, a 9 cell NiMH battery just fits into this extra space, giving more room for everything else.

All the inside of the hull that will be accessible for ballast has been treated to a dose of resin and glass fibre, I reckon that at least 20lbs. will be needed to get it down to its water line. The motor mount is not going to be fixed in place until the ballast is in place, the electronics board will be fixed with screws onto cross bearers so that it can be removed if the need arises.

I hope some of the above may be of help.

Ray, I haven't been able to go sailing for a couple of weeks now due to other commitments, and before that the only sailing we did was in the coffee shop on site at Wicksteed Park,so I am looking forward  to getting Susie May on the water again.

Regards.

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 25/03/2019 08:26:52

Roger Clark25/03/2019 10:15:36
252 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Eddie,

You wouldn't be stealing my thunder, rather stopping me disappearing into a whirlpool never to be seen again. 😁

Thanks for the advice, it will be taken up but I would love to see pics of your build as they say they're worth a 1000 words. Where do I find the belt reduction gearbox please?

Also what size and type of propshaft are you using?

I think my idea of using a steam plant will have to wait until I get this build safely afloat so I will concentrate on expanding the electronics side for a bit of realism.

Regards

Roger

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Shrek
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor