New Projects for 2019 ??

New Projects for 2019 ??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop19/04/2019 12:18:33
4517 forum posts
6067 photos
398 articles

I have been intermittently busy on my liner experimenting with techniques for making the houses under the shade decks. They are only 2cm high so adding decent detail is tricky. The photos below show progress to date.

The walls are 0.5mm ply, sealed and then sprayed with white primer followed by Halford's Appliance White gloss. I prefer this to styrene sheet.

To make the windows and doors I constructed them in a larger size to no particular scale and then scanned them into my PC. I cleaned up the images in Photoshop Elements then transferred them to a MS Word document which enabled me to tinker with the size and proportions until I got what I wanted. The images were then duplicated in Word and printed out onto photo paper. I used double sided tape to stick them to the deckhouse walls and then sprayed over with Halfords matt spray to seal them. Next time I will seal the photo paper back first before sticking them on to get a better attachment although the ones shown turned out OK.

The handrails needed 1mm outside diameter knobs on them but my smallest eyebolts are 2mm and looked too big. I therefore stripped the insulation from some computer wiring and cut it into small slices which were slid over the brass wire handrail. The rail was painted brown and then the knobs in Tamiya gold leaf. This method had the advantage that the wire ends of each handrail could be bent to insert into small holes in the deckhouse and the assembly pressed flush so no need to drill lots of intermediate holes.

Brass doorknobs were very small round headed Amati brass pins and look fine. The portholes are punched out of anthracite colour pinstripe tape with a revolving leather punch to get the different sizes and simply stuck on which is adequate at 1:150 scale.

Colin

deckhouse album (1).jpg

deckhouse album (2).jpg

deckhouse album (3).jpg

Eddie Lancaster19/04/2019 15:17:25
695 forum posts
526 photos

I thought I would build the James P Woods tug and then get back to my TSB Cambria, but MB has done it to me again! in next months issue is a dumb barge, so that will have to be built to give the tug something to dowink.

Hey ho is there no end to this boat building larksmiley.

That is fine work you are doing there Colin in all senses of the word.

Eddie.

Roger Clark19/04/2019 15:22:03
252 forum posts
88 photos

Eddie, best build a model boatyard with multiple slips first then laugh

Regards Roger

Bob Wilson19/04/2019 15:48:55
1673 forum posts
301 photos

Colin,

Great job on the deckhouse - similar method to my own -

Bob

Colin Bishop19/04/2019 16:11:25
4517 forum posts
6067 photos
398 articles

Thanks Eddie and Bob.

Bob, yes my techniques were influenced by yours having read the book! At this scale it is as much about artistic effect as faithful replication in modelling materials. Some extra complications in that it needs to be splashproof on a working model and the need to accommodate deck camber on the forward and aft faces.

This deckhouse is largely concealed on the lower promenade deck. I hope to improve standards on the others a bit now I have got a bit of practice under my belt.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 19/04/2019 21:43:56

Dave Milbourn26/04/2019 13:05:55
4000 forum posts
282 photos

I've just this week finished my own model of the forthcoming SLEC Swordsman kit. I always build two models for each design to prove the CNC-cut shapes. SLEC keep one while I keep the other. This one has a laser-inscribed "planked" deck, which will be incorporated in the kit. It also has several other little details which won't! Photos here **LINK** but here's a taster...

small pic 01.jpg

Dave M

Ray Wood 226/04/2019 13:25:07
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Dave,

Great work as always, you must have built most of their designs by now ??

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop26/04/2019 13:32:28
4517 forum posts
6067 photos
398 articles

That does look nice Dave, thanks for sharing the images. The planked deck makes a huge difference to the realism.

Colin

Dave Milbourn26/04/2019 14:05:48
4000 forum posts
282 photos

Ray

Strangely no. I've done three different scales of H31 plus Huntress and Swordsman. There's a couple of obvious types in the Fairey folio which have escaped my attentions to date, but I shall probably have a bash at those later on. As for how many 1/16 Huntsman kits have been sold [ref in your PM], I have no idea. Maybe I'll ask the question...

Colin

I've been asked to do the same sort of planked deck for the current Huntsman kit so I imagine that future ones will have that, too. I intend to take this model of Swordsman to the Mayhem Wicksteed Park do next month - weather permitting.

DM

Chris Fellows26/04/2019 15:24:36
695 forum posts
409 photos

Looks lovely Dave. I hope that mine comes remotely close. I know you've had plenty of practice but it's the speed of your builds as well as the quality that impresses me.

I assume that the Huntsman 28 is one of your missing builds, but what else? Huntsman 31 Sport, Super Swordsman?

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor