New Projects for 2019 ??

New Projects for 2019 ??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Clark22/03/2019 21:52:00
252 forum posts
88 photos

" so have started on the James P. Woods tug. for the latter."

Hi Eddie, so that's 2 of us starting on this build, any more builders?

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 22/03/2019 21:53:38

neil howard-pritchard22/03/2019 22:55:31
1484 forum posts
790 photos

banjoman, did your woodwork tutor never tell you not to leave your plane sole to table......and steel particles such as nails etc driven into the bench by 'orrible little kids before you, will scar the sole of the plane...……..and if using old boxwood planes, irreparable damage to the wooden soul...………

always leave a plane on its side...………...as a woodwork teacher and tutor, for 25 years...….my absolute pet hate...………..except for sharpening chisels on a motorised grinder...…...argghhhh.

Banjoman26/03/2019 13:43:08
1142 forum posts
2414 photos

Neil,

No. On the contrary, we were specifically asked by the the chap running that course (and whose benches and planes it were) not to lay the planes on their sides, but to put them down on their soles.

His reasoning was that the risk of damage was higher if the planes lay on their sides, as that exposed the soles to dings from whatever else might be or be put on the bench, and which might be pushed against them by accident. He said that in his view the window for accidental damage with sole-to-table (essentially) only occurs during the short act of putting the plane down (and we were firmly asked to pay good attention when doing so), while resting a plane on its side leaves the sole exposed for the duration of the time it is left on the bench.

Given that it was all his stuff, we of course followed his instructions.

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 26/03/2019 13:44:50

Ray Wood 218/04/2019 22:06:06
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi All,

It's a while since we kicked this thread off 😀 somebody out there in Model boat land must want to share their latest build ?

Regards Ray (looking forward to some boating this long weekend)

ashley needham19/04/2019 09:35:03
6592 forum posts
145 photos

Ray. Since starting your thread I have of course built the London, snap supplied.

project V is still continuing but another project has identified itself, “D”, which is unfortunately classified.

Several chaps at Bushy have projects on the go, I will try to get them to post.

Ashley

img_0658.jpg

Ray Wood 219/04/2019 10:02:17
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Well done Ashley,

London looks great , very atmospheric, I know your top secret projects are ongoing 😊 I'm going open book even on the stuff for future publication, as there are so few of us on this forum 😐 still keep up the good work .

Lovely looking weekend, happy boating all

Regards Ray

Roger Clark19/04/2019 10:10:48
252 forum posts
88 photos

Hi Ray,

I do have plans to start a HMS Crane and or HMS Kite but having difficulty finding the build episodes for the Kite that were In the April to ?August 2001, any thoughts?

Regards Roger

Tim Cooper19/04/2019 10:24:35
371 forum posts
161 photos

Ray

Don't think I will be starting a new boat for a while. I am about 2/3 along with my Italeri S100 and have the hull and cabin ready for painting on a Fairey Huntsman.

I have started looking at the possibility of building an Eezebilt OSA 1(32" hull) and using the Dave Wooley article on OSA 2 to add some of the detail.

Tim

Ray Wood 219/04/2019 10:28:20
1989 forum posts
709 photos

Hi Roger,

What types of ships are they, I was rc flying alot back then, not taking mb's back in 2001

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 19/04/2019 10:29:19

Roger Clark19/04/2019 11:42:55
252 forum posts
88 photos

It's a flatiron gunboat

hms crane.jpg

Built in the 1870s, it was the first naval vessel type to not have sails but rely on steam with 2 reciprocating engines. Also had this 10" gun which was on a platform that could be raised and lowered. I've ordered the Saric kit for the 24" HMS Crane but strangely there is no documentation for a Crane in the Ant class, or any gunboat for that matter. They were all on the same lines though, 'bout 24 built.

I do want to build the HMS Kite as well though, with 36" length at 1/32nd scale it has a 10" beam! Reckon a steam plant with 2 hinjuns'll fit in there. wink

Regards Roger

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor