Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

lengthen Esc cable to switch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Empire Parkstone28/12/2018 19:18:07
165 forum posts
5 photos

I would like to extend the wires on a Spectrum 60 amp SRX 200 esc switch. The switch is only attached to the esc and easily detached.The wires are very thin can I just split and extend a few inches or might there be dragons?

Dave Milbourn28/12/2018 23:23:24
3542 forum posts
218 photos

A picture would help.

Dave Milbourn29/12/2018 10:06:25
3542 forum posts
218 photos

Reading your questio again and I see that a Spektrum SRX200 is actually a receiver. Presumably you have a seperate 60A speed controller which has a switch, much like this one.

marine-v3-60a-8.jpg

As you say, the wires to the switch are very thin - typically 26AWG. Cutting them to insert an additional piece is possible, but only if you trust your soldering ability. Wire to wire joints are a pain in the proverbial!
I would suggest it's easier to pull back the cover from the switch and solder another switch and leads in parallel with it. Leave the existing switch in the OFF position and use the new one instead.

esc switch extension.jpg

Empire Parkstone29/12/2018 10:15:57
165 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks Dave yes  similar esc alas soldering is Taboo for me

Edited By Empire Parkstone on 29/12/2018 10:17:18

Dave Milbourn29/12/2018 10:27:05
3542 forum posts
218 photos

Then perhaps a mechanical extension such as a length of 18SWG piano wire through the switch toggle to act as a pushrod? No dragons there!

DM

Empire Parkstone29/12/2018 10:39:12
165 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks perhaps something like that as below deck is such a cramped space I was tempted to lengthen the Batt feed so I could move it all to the next open space

Telstar29/12/2018 13:45:07
311 forum posts
32 photos

Hi, For extending wires, a much easier way is to solder seal heat shrink. you strip the ends to be joined, insert in the heat shrink fitting and heat with a hot air gun (or similar) the heat shrink closes on the wire cover and the solder ring in the fitting melts to give a good joint.

example from e-bay **LINK**

Cheers Tom

Dave Milbourn29/12/2018 17:02:30
3542 forum posts
218 photos

Eyup, Tom - long time since, eh?

Those gizmos are truly cunning but a trifle expensive unless you're making lots of wire-to-wire joints of different sizes. Nonetheless I've saved the link for possible future use - many thanks and HNY.

Dave M

Empire Parkstone29/12/2018 19:07:27
165 forum posts
5 photos

Duly noted Tom thanks

EP

Telstar30/12/2018 12:03:53
311 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Dave, A HNY,2U2.

Don't build these days, No water. Jobsworth stopped local pond, fishing only, nature reserve.

Do follow MB, but only post if I think can be useful and non controversial.

Those 'gizmos' are available in smaller quantities typical 5 off white (26-24 SWG) £1.50 p+p inc.

same source.

EP sorry for hijacking your post HNY

Tom

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor