Forum sponsored by Dremel

Model boat Robbie pt.15

Any suggestions for power train?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mick06/07/2008 15:47:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

i have just got a pt 15 robbie  i wondered if anybody had had one just want to know

what  motor or motors to use the instructions say a navy compack  and 6 to 9.6v  battery

just  wondered what any of the other members thought or should i double motor and

shaft it ? the plans are in german and i have no manual on the build  

DickyD15/07/2008 15:15:00
50 forum posts
50 photos

I didnt use the navy compact in mine as it is more often than not noisy.

What I have in mine is as follows:

Two rudders as supplied

230mm propshaft with oiler tube and fine pitch 35mm 2 blade prop

I used a Deans Marine Kestrel 5 Motor. (Oh so quiet)

Overlander 50amp speed controller Discharge: 50A forward/20A reverse. Plug in and go, no set up needed.

Tornado TRC4300 9.6v Sub C Nimh battery  which I positioned crosswise about a third of the way forward  from the transom.

I get about  45 mins run time.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p8/DickyD_photos/DSCF0221.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p8/DickyD_photos/06_editedMedium.jpg

mick15/07/2008 20:46:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya  dickyd

is your kestral water cooled ?  and where your instructions in english or german/ AND IS

that a speaker in the front for a foghorn ?is the prop brass or plastic thanks for your input

mick  it looks impressive on the plane and were did you get your speed controller from

never heard of the overlander  e s c ? 

DickyD15/07/2008 21:30:00
50 forum posts
50 photos

Hi Mick

Kestral is watercooled

Instructions were in several languages in one book

Speaker for JJC sound system

Prop plastic

Speed controller Overlander 50amp forward 20amp reverse no setting up, just plug in and go, from 

A Model World. They do a good price on it. I have 6 of them, no problems.

http://www.amodelworld.co.uk/

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p8/DickyD_photos/Overlander50Awaterproofspc.jpg

John W E16/07/2008 10:38:00
272 forum posts
263 photos

hello there Mick

regarding the instruction book for the PT15, what our Dicky forgot to mention is there are one or two of us who really struggled with this instruction book which THEY SAY is in English  and, to be honest with you, the Plan was more help than the instruction book.

I am not, what you would really call, a Kit modeller - but, I was bought the kit as a present by the better half - along with all of the kitncaboodle - the motor which is actually recommended for the kit along with all the sound units and bits and pieces - to start off with the motor that is suggested is the one with the gear box and as Dicky mentions you can hear the thing run from 4 mile away!  it is so noisy.

The sound effects from Robbe - the horn sound - when I was testing it out - my wife thought I was strangling one of our pet cats.   Then there was the engine noise - a series of click, click clicks, and that my friend is a diesel engine   -  not very impressed.

As far as building the model is concerned, I quite enjoyed it to a point and I would think anyone who does do kits seriously - it will quite easily turn into a lovely model.  Hey and before our Dicky says anything - Yes........mine is sitting in the loft....its sulking....cos it just needs its guns painting & not to mention its sea trials.

aye, John e

mick17/07/2008 21:02:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya john

i was given the kit myself i usually  build my own models the water cooling bit is new to me

dicky d said the kestal motor was water cooled on deans marine site it doesnt  mention

a cooling coil or do i have to buy one separate  i have heard the horn of the robbe foghorn and i

agree with you its terrible sounding  the speed controller he said to use looks the same as one on

ebay at half the cost?  i have not bought the motor or e s c  yet i just wanted feedback thanks lads

have you put any figures on yet as i like to think it is not finished til then just my opinion i was going to

modify some 1/35  airfix eight army multipose figures to or us multipose figures decide which are best

well thanks lads you are a great help just hope i can do it justice like you lads

mick

DickyD17/07/2008 21:27:00
50 forum posts
50 photos

Figures are on all of mine, see photo above. Modified toy soldiers from Toys-R-Us

Deans reckon their motor doesn't need cooling, but it does get hot after a while and it is easier to put the watercooling in now as appose to later.

Water cooling coil for 500/600 motors and intake and outlet and silicone tube from.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/water_cooling.html

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p8/DickyD_photos/3324_0.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p8/DickyD_photos/1428_sml.jpg

mick18/07/2008 21:16:00
127 forum posts
74 photos

hiya  dicky d

thanks for the info i  found your model on the other site very good build giude very helpful

i can get the bits up here in southport but thanks for the

info redbank models of blackpool have a online shop and  scale models of skemersdale

have a good selections mick

DickyD19/07/2008 11:22:00
50 forum posts
50 photos

Hi Mick

I use Redbank Models a lot and find Gary very helpful and efficient.

Having said that Cornwall Model Boats are also very good.

Good luck with your build, if you need any help just shout.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor