Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Brave borderer scratch build

Hull construction

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Cooper 313/11/2018 15:33:17
15 forum posts
Hi I'm new to scratch building and I'm attempting a RN Brave Borderer. I'm looking for some photos or onfo on hull construction my plan are very minimal any help would be much appreciated.
Dave Milbourn13/11/2018 17:16:56
3995 forum posts
282 photos

This thread from 'The Other Forum' is written by an acknowledged expert in scratch-building and the boat is similar to HMS BB. I'm no longer a member of Mayhem so I don't know if that's why I can't see any photos. They may have fallen victim to Photobucket's infamous grab for dollars a while back, but John W E (aka Bluebird) also looks into this forum and he might be able to clarify that. **LINK**

Dave M

Tony Hadley13/11/2018 22:14:16
897 forum posts
536 photos

Gary,

I've scanned and attached the magazine item which accompanied the plan (MM609) from September 1960 Model Maker magazine. There are a few basic notes on building in the second page, obviously things have moved on since this article. To enlarge, click on the photograph and then enlarge.

brave borderer (1).jpg

brave borderer (2).jpg

There is information on the full sized craft at the British Military Powerboat site -

**LINK**

Ray Wood 213/11/2018 22:23:29
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi All,

That's a proper MTB just has the classic look Spitfire on the water !!

Regards Ray

harry smith 114/11/2018 07:59:57
1022 forum posts
1282 photos

Hi Gary

I have a PDF copy of the Precedent Perkasa build booklet which shows all the frames.

PM your email address and I can send them to you.

Harry Smith

John W E14/11/2018 16:59:02
263 forum posts
257 photos

hi there as has been said by our own DM I did a write up and build of the high speed launch and thankfully I did not use pukey bucket to save me photos - but they are still on the forum on the build. What I have been spending a bit of time researching on THAT particular forum and Dave should have remembered as Dave supplied the motors and electronics for this particular boat. The guy from the land down under (Martin 13 did a build of a 1/16 scale - Brave Borderer) and its a lovely model and good build. Here is a link but - to see the photographs you have to be a member of Mayhem

.https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9865.0.html

You have to look for HMS Brave Borderer 1:16 build by Martin 13 Downunder.

Edited By John W E on 14/11/2018 17:01:02

John W E14/11/2018 17:03:14
263 forum posts
257 photos

this is the proper link to the build referred to by me above - I knew I could do it - put the proper link in.   Its amazing what a bit of reading can do.

**LINK**

Edited By John W E on 14/11/2018 17:04:10

Gary Cooper 315/11/2018 10:12:39
15 forum posts
So I've cut out and sanded the bulkheads going to cut keel today not sure if I need to cut slot in transom for keel any advise? And how's the best way to bend the balsa strips 3/8 sq strips ☺
Ray Wood 215/11/2018 10:25:36
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Gary,

I would make it up with 3/16"x 3/16" x 4nr laminated as they bend easier I assume your doing the chine stringer?

Any photos??

Regards Ray

Gary Cooper 315/11/2018 11:04:04
15 forum posts
Hi Ray thanks for the advise yes I'm going to attempt the stringers and keel. I've just looked at some of your master pieces my god I've a lot to learn lol I'm not going to post any pictures yet lol I feel overwhelmed now looking at your boats ☺

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor