By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

DSCN3211.JPG

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Solway03/07/2008 15:59:00
4 forum posts
having work on the hengist for a while ,caught my eye straight away , i always find making lifeboats a pain which would always be end up different sizes and now buy them which made all the difference ,the last model i made was free enterprise v . paul
ashley needham06/07/2008 13:43:00
7323 forum posts
156 photos

Paul.  Great model, nIcely modelled sea, shame its not motorised!     Lifeboats , yes , On me Titanic, almost the last thing I did was add the lifeboats, after not finding any in the tiny size required, about 30mm. I was worried that as they were all lined up, any small discrepancies in shape or size would notice horribly. However, while I was fitting out the top deck, in order to get a feel for where certain items should be placed and how big they should be (admission... there is AN amount of artistic licence on this model, unfortunately having too small a plan and to a stand off scale spec,) i needed to position some lifeboats on deck, to get THE LOOK so i cut a strip of wood about 10mm square, into 30mm lengths and simply chamfered the ends on a sanding disc and placed them on deck. When i looked at them from a "stand off scale" distance, blow me down they didnt look too bad, and with a bit more worh with a block and sanpaper...there we were, 16 lifeboats. O.K they are not all exactly the same, but near as, and you cant see the difference 6 feet away anyway. Ashley

ps You dont want to know how I made the funnels.....

or the davits

or

or

Manxman06/07/2008 18:20:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Ashley .... Yes we do !

ashley needham07/07/2008 18:38:00
7323 forum posts
156 photos

Well... I tried hard to find something of the correct dimensions in tube form but with no success so while I was fiddling about getting the proportions right, I cut a pine plank up to the correct dimensions for the oval (so this was oblong in section) and approx the correct height and rake and popped them on the top of the superstructure in their correct positions and stepped back...and blow me down I thought with a bit of paint they would look ok....so i cut a longer length this time, planed and sanded it oval, cut 4 bits to the same size (in actual fact the Titanice funnels are NOT all the same height, but at this size it doesnt show) and voila! 4x funnels, fairly identical at 6 feet away. The davits are copper wire (the inner earth wire from a bit of flat twin cable) wound around an oval piece of electrical trunking and cut into rings and then into 4 quarters .....While I am at it, the plating effect on the hull is thin card strips pva`d on and painted.....  

My masterpeice ....the capstains at the bow are .177 airgun waisted pellets with the heads filed flat....just the right size AND the have those little grooves around the side giving them that "capstainny" look...anything else????     Ashley  Bodgetastic  (look at the pictures in my gallery.) sorry only low resolution of course.

Manxman09/07/2008 18:33:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

See Ashley,

All those tips you've given us - and you didn't want to share them.

One more tip for you - if you don't want to file flats onto the heads of the pellets, you can buy them already flat - they're used for competitions, the flat head does not tear the target !

Cheers - Ken

ashley needham10/07/2008 20:23:00
7323 forum posts
156 photos

Ken. Thought of that at the time,. but they are just a bit taller than a filed-down round head pellet.

Ashley

Alan Poole12/07/2008 15:48:00
59 forum posts
31 photos

Looks like the Pride of Calais in the background with hull painted Norfolk line blue!     Nice Hengist.

Regards  Alan..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor