Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Electric boat experts here please!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Fry30/06/2008 19:00:00
34 forum posts
1 photos

I thought I had got a real bargain when  I recently bought an ESC for my boat .

I carefully checked that it was for brushed motors and that the current limit was ok and that it had a battery elimination circuit .

When it arrived I found it didnt have a reverse!  (It was clearly marked PLANE)

Possibly fortunately, I was going to use  my very old 4 channel radio set so I thought, why not use a spare channel to reverse the polarity of the motor?

I figured a D.P.D.T. switch would do this , but before I go any further and blow anything up, could anyone advise if this will work and/or any problems likely?

Thank you 

ashley needham30/06/2008 19:23:00
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Brian. Cant see why this wouldnt work, BUT I am not sure how the ESC will react if there is a modocum of power going through it when you suddenly reverse the motor (duck attack).. May get spikes or peaks above the current capabilities of the unit ( due to heavy draw on initial motor start-up).  Ashley

ps fusing it might stop ESC damage but leave you stranded in the ocean...

Manxman30/06/2008 20:22:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Brian,

In theory it seems ok, worrying though about being stranded in the lake.  Personal I would put the ESC to one side (in case you build a racer type which only has forward) swallow my pride (I've done a lot of that!) get the old wallet out and buy another.

You didn't mention where you got your bargain from,  wasn't Ebay was it ? as most of these are from China/Hong Kong  with a massive rating and are forward only, fine for the old racer.

Cheers - Ken

Brian Fry30/06/2008 23:29:00
34 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for your advice members.

Ashley,I take on board (no pun intended) your points, although I was planning to close the power  to zero on the  throttle stick before moving the reversing (elevator) stick to the revers position.

Manxman you got me bang to rights: it was Ebay and for less than £5 delivered it seemed worth the gamble! 

I guess I was concentrating on making sure it was a brushed motor item as there seems to be a big difference in prices between brushed and brushless ESC's I wonder why that is?

Manxman01/07/2008 18:21:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Difference in price ? - simple, new technology (well newish) and a limited market.

New stuff, doesn't matter what it is, is always more expensive when it first comes out, but soon drops

I bought a Sony digital camera 3 years back, cost £230, you can now pick up a much better version for just £70

With regards the ESC,  I use Mtronics 25amp Vipers (£36) - bear in mind you can move your ESC from one boat to another, after all, you can only sail one at a time -  Its also wise to buy a little bigger than you need as you don't know yet what your next model will be !

Ken

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor