Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

R2 Whalecatcher

Help with plan/article

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
trevor hughes29/08/2018 09:37:38
4 forum posts

I have an original of the plan out of the December 1963 Model Maker by R.A. Sweet tjhat I started to build in my teens. Unfortunately the page with the build description on has a large chunk missing out of it from the second column top paragraph. can anyone help me with a copy of the page (592)?

I am thinking of making a scaled up R/C model but would like to know how the original was built.

Tony Hadley29/08/2018 11:35:22
897 forum posts
536 photos

Here is the article Trevor.
(To enlarge click on the photo, when it opens click again.)

Wishing you every success with the build.

december 1963 (2).jpg

december 1963.jpg

trevor hughes29/08/2018 12:13:18
4 forum posts

Many thanks Tony, now to decide on materials and methods.Thinking plank on frame out of H.I.P.S. maybe outer layer of diagonalplanks. Will build a test section if it doen't work to well or to be to expensive. will revert to balsa with thin ply outer diagonal planks.

Dim distant memory of gum paper strips not working out to well which was why I din't finish the original.

Charles Oates29/08/2018 16:32:31
557 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Trevor, Tony has beaten me too it with the article, I've still got mine because it was the second model I built when I was 12 years old. mine didn't win any prizes but I was very inexperienced and I didn't take to gum strip finishes either.

Two points that might interest you, the hull is small and best built light so you can get some ballast right in the bottom, otherwise it will be very tender. If bulding it again would plank with .8 mm ply and if I do I would enlarge it to 36 or even 48 inches, it will be more seaworthy.

Years ago I was told that when it finished as a whale catcher, it was converted in to a fire fighting vessel, with 3 monitors. One each side of the bridge and one replacing the harpoon. I've looked long and hard on the internet, but can't find a shred of proof for this, however the guy said he worked on this type of ships in his youth so presumably he knew his stuff.

Good luck with the build.

Chas

Edited By Charles Oates on 29/08/2018 16:38:31

Charles Oates29/08/2018 16:35:50
557 forum posts
46 photos

I forgot to add, what a treasure those plans by R.A. Sweet were, often unusual, cheap and easy to build. They seem to be forgotten about nowadays.

Chas

trevor hughes29/08/2018 16:57:39
4 forum posts

I also started another ship, can't remember the name but it was a foreign navy small ship with a what can best be described as a full width hoop/wing on the stern also from the sixties, malaysian seems to ring a distant bell.

As you say Charles unusual design

Charles Oates29/08/2018 23:48:02
557 forum posts
46 photos

If it was one of R.A.Sweets, the Sri Perlis is a contender. One of my favourite models. I built it twice, 30 years apart.

Chas

trevor hughes30/08/2018 01:46:35
4 forum posts

The Sri Perlis pictures show only a fast attack type boat the one I'm thinking of was more frigate size and I don't know who 's plan it was but I think the ship name began with M or B

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Premier Thursday
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor