Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Gas jets

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eddie Price 230/06/2008 09:02:00
70 forum posts
30 photos

Hi, I am in the process of making a  steam plant for a model boat, and I am at the boiler stage. I have been using Martin Ranson's articles in Model Boats as a guide. He mentions gas jets Nos 3 or 5 for his burners. Does anyone know of a supplier of gas jets?

By the way does anyone have any experience of machining phosphor bronze. I have used it for the first time to make bushes for the boiler and it appears to be terrible stuff to machine. It is the first time that I have broken a tap (okay, perhaps I have been lucky in the past), but both drills and taps appear to bind in ph bronze. Are ther different grades of ph bronze?

Eddie Price 

Paul T30/06/2008 15:01:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Eddie

For gas jets try a camping / caravan or outdoor store.

For machining ph bronze I suggest that you talk to an expert machinist such as our very own Bob Abell.

Paul

Eddie Price 230/06/2008 16:26:00
70 forum posts
30 photos

Thanks Paul. How do I contact Bob.

Eddie 

HS 9330/06/2008 20:37:00
91 forum posts
25 photos

Hers are three people who sell them

http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/bruce-engineering/fittings.asp

http://www.forest-classics.co.uk/ceramic_burners.htm

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Clevedon-Steam

Hs93

Paul T30/06/2008 20:39:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Eddie

Bob is one of our more prolific members, to find him just scroll down the forum postings and you will find his name and from there you could contact him through the "message member" facility.

Alternativly just wait for Bob to log onto this thread and leave a note of his own.

All the best

Paul

Eddie Price 209/07/2008 12:52:00
70 forum posts
30 photos

Hi folks. I am not having any success with my gas burner. I have managed to get Nos 5 and 8 gas jets, but I am not having any luck with the completed burner. I have been using the information provided by Martin Ranson, Model Boats, June 2005, August 2007 and July 2008. I have constructed a burner similar to Martin's with metal gauze at the outlet, but cannot achieve the nice blue flame that Martin shows in the August 2007 article; I always end up with a yellow fringe. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has successfully constructed gas burners. Not the ceramic ones, which I have managed to make. I want one that will project a flame horizontally in a boiler similar to that which appears in the June 2005 issue of Model Boats.

Eddie Price

Paul T09/07/2008 14:09:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Eddie

From your description it sounds as though you have a air / gas mixture problem which is resulting in this incomplete burn. 

Lots of questions arise from the mixture problem such as Gas Type & Pressure, Regulator Size, Pipework Size, Size & Type of Gauze, Size & Location of Air Inlets, Size of Combustion Chamber (if any) 

Or perhaps the jet is partly blocked.

Are you working indoors or outside as drafts can cause havoc with small burners.

Don't despair as we all go through the same learning curve when playing with gas.

Paul

Eddie Price 209/07/2008 20:15:00
70 forum posts
30 photos

Thanks Paul. I am still struggling with it. I have added some pictures to my gallery, including the burner. This is what it looks like

/sites/2/images/member_albums/2648/burner1-compressed.jpg

The jet is on the left, the mixing chamber is in the centre and the gauze holder bottom right. The large flange is intended to fit over the opening to the boiler. I have tried different jets, Nos 5 and 8, and 8 just gives me a bigger flame

It is such a simple structure it is difficult to see what I can change. I have examined gas torches that I use in the workshop, and it is difficult to see why they work and the one above doesn't. Oh well keep trying, and if there is anyone out there who has made something similar, that works, I would like to hear from you.

Eddie Price

Paul T10/07/2008 18:59:00
7340 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Eddie

Just had a good look at your burner set up and two questions occur to me,

Firstly have you tried sliding the jet and its mount forward / backward in mixing chamber as this will affect the way the flame burns (sorry if I,m telling you how to suck eggs)

Secondly the distance from the jet to the opposite wall of the combustion chamber is critical as this will also have a distinct effect on the quality of the burn, it might pay to check the design distance.

Good luck

Paul

Eddie Price 211/07/2008 08:31:00
70 forum posts
30 photos

Hi Paul. Yes I have tried moving the jet and when it starts to cover the air holes the flame goes more yellow, but even with the air holes completely uncovered the flame still has yellow edges.

With regard the distance, I think you are correct in asuming that there are some critical distances involved in the design, but the design information is not that clear, so I suspect it is going to be a process of trial and error. The old bunsen burner is very simple (I don't suppose schools are allowed to use them now), but making one is not so easy. 

Eddie 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
SLEC
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor