Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Self starting steam engines

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
michael howarth 131/05/2019 07:56:45
34 forum posts
4 photos

Nearly a year on but I have found the solution to a non self starter starting. It involves the use of a one way needle roller bearing (about £3) fitted on the crankshaft. A brass collar with a drop arm is made to fit over the bearing. When the engine is running the crankshaft spins freely within the bearing. When the engine stops running a "nudge" on the bearing from an appropriately placed solenoid linked to the drop arm will push the crankshaft off of TDC or BDC and enable it to start on application of steam.

If the idea is of any use to anyone, feel free to PM me for details.

Mick

Andy Stoneman31/05/2019 20:50:00
128 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Mick

I made a get you home safe motor for the very same reason, it sat alongside the flywheel of the engine. Using r/c if needed to engage, This was enough to turn the engine over and self start again.

Andy

Andy Stoneman31/05/2019 20:51:34
128 forum posts
12 photos

102_0920.jpg

Andy Stoneman31/05/2019 20:53:31
128 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Mick not the best pic, i'll see if I can track it down If your interested

Andy

Telstar31/05/2019 23:28:31
323 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Michael, Have you thought about a Kitchen/Kitchener? rudder. there is no need to stop the engine then. If I've got my facts right this type of rudder was used by the R.N. on steam Pinnaces. These had a single cylinder steam engine, so to go astern the rudder system was used.

A number of modellers (including myself) have made RC versions of this rudder

Cheers Tom

michael howarth 101/06/2019 17:42:18
34 forum posts
4 photos

Hallo Andy and Telstar. I would love to see pictures of your starter and Kitchen rudder.

Mick

redpmg01/06/2019 20:49:43
82 forum posts
9 photos

Simplest solution was one used by a member of the Johannesburg MBC - servo with a prodder fitted to it - nudged the flywheel on the Stuart 10 ( from what I remember - 25 years ago). seldom took more than a couple of prods to get it going

One of the modern smaller servos should do the trick - could be hidden/disguised easily enough

Edited By redpmg on 01/06/2019 20:52:05

Telstar01/06/2019 23:22:20
323 forum posts
32 photos

Hi. This shows a Kitchen rudder on a model. **LINK**

On you tube search kitchen rudder, and there is video of a full size one operating.

cheers Tom

Andy Stoneman02/06/2019 01:33:04
128 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Michael,

They still used Kitchener gear on the workboats and cutters in my Day, diesel engine propelled though.Here is another option as I can't find the photo I was after showing more detail of the home safe motor. A is the Input shaft and B the output shaft, tumblerreverse_zps69d853c3.jpgin between are two rollers which using the lever will give forward or reverse without stopping or reversing the engine.

Andy

Edited By Andy Stoneman on 02/06/2019 01:33:50

michael howarth 110/06/2019 18:07:14
34 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks Andy. Pretty much the same as the reversing set up on my lathe.

Mick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor