Forum sponsored by Dremel

Barge

Make a Thames lighter to tow

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Noel10/09/2018 13:50:19
227 forum posts
63 photos

Its basically the same idea as the pencil through a block of wood, but solves the problem of the pencil thickness.

It might be ready in two months not sure about weeks!

Noel21/09/2018 11:02:10
227 forum posts
63 photos

Getting on with this. Need to sand the stern section to final shape, then ready for skinning with 0.8mm ply.

Added a big bit of pine plank to act as a keel inside to stiffen it as it’s going to have to support a lot of ballast.

Tug fits inside nicely for storage. But it is big!

58268213-8476-4f24-b45b-75d33d098530.jpeg

ashley needham21/09/2018 17:31:12
6572 forum posts
144 photos

Tim. Don't forget you will not see it all once its in the water.

My HMS London is also looking a bit big, and much bigger than the card model. They are roughly the same size of course, but the card one is a waterline rendition whereas the ply one has the rest of it hanging underneath.

Ashley

Noel26/09/2018 08:37:15
227 forum posts
63 photos

Good point, I think to start it will have a load of real shingle to see how it sits. Thing is it’s going to be a fair mass to tow.

Now have the plywood round bow and stern so it is looking more finished now. Coming and a few bollards on deck then I will seal it.

fd591b55-52d5-4ecc-a0e6-20fb340b25d7.jpeg

Noel02/10/2018 21:26:35
227 forum posts
63 photos

43238bbd-ed90-40cf-a6cd-8440205a1318.jpegFirst coats of paint. Nearly there.

806daa66-34bf-402f-b95e-e5af446e79c9.jpeg

ashley needham13/10/2018 17:24:18
6572 forum posts
144 photos

Forgot to mention that Noels barge made its maiden voyage last Sunday. I must say it did look like a whopper on the workbench (seat) but once in the water and with a scale figure sitting on it, it almost could have been a bit longer!

Noel has to grasp the thorny nettle of ballast now. He needs a LOT of ballast as demonstrated on this inaugural run where he had no ballast. We simply had nothing heavy enough at the pond (barring a small boy that is) to even make a try at weighing it down. The bits of lead that I carry around paled into insignificance. Good luck with that Noel!

Ashley

Ray Wood 213/10/2018 17:41:07
1979 forum posts
705 photos

Hi All,

The 2 & 4 pint milk cartons are great for portable ballast, fill at the lake with a cover over then remove and empty !

I use coal in my little barge

Regards Ray

ashley needham13/10/2018 18:04:07
6572 forum posts
144 photos

We discussed having basically a lift out tray or box with concrete or something in. There are two wells either side for a bit of permanent ballast, but the centre has been sized to store the tug so Noel would not want the basic barge too heavy.

Ashley

Noel14/10/2018 17:07:29
227 forum posts
63 photos

Indeed it did have an outing last week and was generally successful!

Here it is being towed by Eddie doing a negotiation of Richard's buoys.

20181007_094448.jpg

I have since made up some big ball fenders for it based on squash balls which are correct for size and should also be effective at actually being fenders.

It has a couple of bits of batten glued in now for the tug to nestle onto when in storage, but still plenty of room for ballast.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor