Forum sponsored by Dremel

Barge

Make a Thames lighter to tow

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ashley needham20/07/2018 09:06:00
6611 forum posts
153 photos

….its worth doing quickly so Noel can build a REALLY DECENT boat...….

Noel20/07/2018 15:26:54
228 forum posts
63 photos

REALLY DECENT, but just a lighter. No other bits to be added apart from tow bollards and paint!

The mission creep can come later

David Marks 120/07/2018 21:17:11
243 forum posts
44 photos

Have a look at this plan. The hull length is about 30 inches. I used the plan as a basis a for a model houseboat, based on a former Thames lighter. Many were purchased and converted to other uses. I used to visit a company base adjacent to Chertsey Bridge on the Thames which had two converted lighters, one was the canteen and the other a store.

**LINK**

Noel31/08/2018 18:35:25
228 forum posts
63 photos

After being on holiday and then gathering materials I have now made some progress.

Ashley has very kindly spent some time cutting my plywood and other parts to size on his bandsaw - so I have nice square consistent edges. Thank you Ashley! This has made it glue together very easily so far.

d66a464e-8b55-4b18-bbce-6210d6065c67.jpeg

I have the basic box and the foredeck in place. It is very robust indeed. Next is to add a stiffener for the bow to fit to and then template the flat front and wraparound skin for the bow.

Edited By Noel on 31/08/2018 18:36:48

ashley needham31/08/2018 21:47:53
6611 forum posts
153 photos

Noel. I have an idea on how to make the template for the bow pieces very easily. First I think you need that stiffener, and then the other bow bits can be made.

Be there Sunday, or call me tomorrow am, wont take 5 mins to make the stiffeners and explain about the template bit.

Ashley

Noel01/09/2018 19:28:32
228 forum posts
63 photos

ae324d24-bd5f-4a40-9d72-bec0dfbdce68.jpegI think I will be there Sunday yes.

This is what I have so far. There is a batten to support the tow bollard that will be fitted on the foredeck.

Then I have added a strip of ply glued to the curve of the bow, to give the skin ply something to glue to. The bow stiffener is to be cut to length then glued in. Once that’s in I can template with cardboard.

What you think?

Noel07/09/2018 08:50:59
228 forum posts
63 photos

Now done prepared to template the bow front:

9920dff7-0b87-4df9-8acd-6809bce9aa38.jpeg

Could not work out how to run a pencil round the edge and keep it perpendicular to the foredeck and the right length as it worked its way round the curve. So I clamped a laser pointer to my square and then shone that just over the edge. I could then mark out a line of dots on the cardboard, which I can cut to!

a73cc7f1-98cd-4993-a19e-2bfd08377858.jpeg

Chris Fellows07/09/2018 12:25:41
695 forum posts
411 photos

Clever stuff Noel. Where would we be without some of these modern techie gismos!

Chris

Noel07/09/2018 16:45:45
228 forum posts
63 photos

It is also somewhat cheaper than a professional laser square or level!

ashley needham08/09/2018 17:12:06
6611 forum posts
153 photos

I suggested simply drilling a hole in a small block of wood to take a pencil and running that around the top, but OH NO...Noel has gone all high-tec….

Ashley

Be ready two weeks Sunday then eh Noel??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor