Forum sponsored by Dremel

Barge

Make a Thames lighter to tow

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Noel18/07/2018 22:46:44
224 forum posts
61 photos

As i started talking about this on Today’s boating but thought it better to start a thread here.

I need a roughly 1:20 scale Thames lighter for my river tug to tow. It must be no more than 1m long or it will be a pain to fit in the car.

I have sketched the below general layout and a scale sketch of the bulkhead cross section. The 4mm ply offcuts I have are a bit floppy, but I found some 20x32mm batten in the garage that will make nice longitudinal stiffeners and some other hefty bits of pine for the bulkheads each end of the central box.

Is the cross section feasible or is it too shallow? All the numbers are millimetres.

As Ashley suggested, the size of the barge as above is such that the tug can be stored inside it.

Noel18/07/2018 22:49:36
224 forum posts
61 photos

And not forgetting the general inspiration!

20180713_131444.jpg

Ray Wood 219/07/2018 07:58:00
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Noel,

I couldn't open your sketch, but this is the drawing I based my barge on, they are normally 80ft long approx.

Regards Rayswim barge.jpg

Noel19/07/2018 10:55:31
224 forum posts
61 photos

21fc8ce8-fb93-46bb-8897-0c1d939beda8.jpeg

That's better.  Not sure what happened to the link there.

Thank you Ray that picture of yours looks generally the same proportions.  My only concern with mine was that it was not deep enough for its given beam, but I think your proves I'm probably OK there.

Only other question is should it be narrower at the bilges than the deck?  Would be a bit easier to make if the cross section is rectangular.

Noel.

Edited By Noel on 19/07/2018 10:58:29

Tony Hadley19/07/2018 12:37:33
897 forum posts
536 photos

Noel,

I've just posted an article from Model Maker magazine, July 1956 in the Vic Smeed thread. It provides information on M.V. Frank Rayner and it's barge which may be of some help with your build project.

The plan for this design is no longer commercially available, but I have a hi-res digital image if it would help.

Edited By Tony Hadley on 19/07/2018 12:43:30

Ray Wood 219/07/2018 13:02:49
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Noel,

Yes I think they are slightly wider at deck level, looking at this one, I didn't bother and made mine slab sided

Regards Ray150317 002.jpg

Noel19/07/2018 13:44:56
224 forum posts
61 photos

Thanks.

That Frank Rayner is very much narrower in proportions than the lighter, but it is straight sided.

So based on that and Rays one I'm going to make it based around a straight sided box!

There's so many different types of lighter anyway so guess I have quite free artistic license, but I wanted to start off with something that is at least the right proportions!

Noel.

Chris Fellows19/07/2018 14:29:46
666 forum posts
378 photos

Hi Noel - I guess that weight isn't a problem as you probably need some ballast anyway and there is no motor etc. so for extra strength you could always glue 2 layers of ply together. Most of the centre is cut out anyway.

One of my current builds uses 3mm ply for the frames and they were somewhat warped and flimsy. Not a problem though as once all the stringers are in place the structure will be strong and rigid. Just needed some additional squaring up and clamping whilst the glue set.

Chris

ashley needham19/07/2018 19:42:34
6497 forum posts
224 photos

Noel. Do not let "mission creep" happen to this barge,. It is simply something to add interest to the tug.....

Ashley

Chris Fellows19/07/2018 21:11:43
666 forum posts
378 photos

Then again, if a thing's worth doing...…..!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Premier Thursday
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor