Forum sponsored by Dremel

Binding Orange to Spektrum

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Field 115/06/2018 18:26:26
564 forum posts
6 photos

Hi all,

I guess it had to happen, me being endlessly unfortunate where electrics are concerned.

A while back I bought myself a Spektrum TX a DX5e, then I bought a then very affordable Orange 6 channel Rx. I don't need 6 channels, but then I was also considering some aircraft activity.

Neither have been out of their packaging since they arrived as I only really do boat stuff in Summer.

Well, today I got together Tx. with batteries, RX. with a 5 cell pack (the Rx is fine from 3.7V to 9.6V. and a watch of youtubes and a read of the instructions. I did all that was presented to me and of course, nowt 'appened. The flashing of the Rx. didn't stop. I toggled the trainer lever and switched the TX on as instructed. The Tx. biddlybooped and it's lights came on, though Gawd knows what that means, but the Rx. just kept on flashing till my back ached too much to carry on sitting still.

What am I doing (or not) wrong? Anyone got any ideas, because I don't "do" problems. I expect stuff to work or it's out the window. Often followed by a large hammer, just to make me feel good. But this stuff is all new, never been used.

Help?

Cheers,

Martin

Paul T15/06/2018 19:21:40
7143 forum posts
1206 photos
2 articles

Martin

I had no end of trouble trying to bind orange to Spektrum, standing on one leg, in a bucket, at the bottom of the garden, on a day with a B in it, switched off everything that uses 2.4 and sacrificed a hamster to the great electronics god.

All no good.

I came to the conclusion that orange is just to awkward to use so I did some fine tuning with my sledge hammer.

So I keep my multi channel systems for helicopters and bought a super 2 channel 2.4 from Steve Webb for the boats.

Paul

Martin Field 115/06/2018 19:32:51
564 forum posts
6 photos

Not really what I was wanting to hear, Paul, though a pc of you on one leg at the bottom of the garden would have been good.

So I have to look at my old 27 megs or buy again? But it's all new!

I'll check the cost of a Spektrum RX. Or even an Orange Tx.!

But I've spent a lot on getting some basic stuff in this damned tub and no closer to a working set-up. I HATE working models. Always have. Free sailing has a lot to recommend it. I like building. Don't really give a stuff about playing toy boats...round and round and figures of eight till the batteries run out...wake me up when it hits the bank could you?

Martin

Paul T15/06/2018 19:42:49
7143 forum posts
1206 photos
2 articles

Martin

The new kit that I bought is wonderful as it does everything it is supposed to do without any fuss (or standing in a bucket) it is literally plug and play.

Its just as simple as the old 27meg but without the interference and is a real joy to use.

Paul

Martin Field 115/06/2018 20:02:31
564 forum posts
6 photos

Paul, I can't justify spending another 40 quid when I have 2 brand new items that simply don't work. Someone must know what to do.

Martin

Andy C15/06/2018 20:35:07
472 forum posts
116 photos

Hi Martin

Quick search of Youtube found a couple of videos. One where the bloke did not actually speak. Just twiddled a few buttons and hey presto. This one however did actually talk. See if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0GeSj0cNw

Paul Freshney15/06/2018 21:19:56
293 forum posts
15 photos

Martin

I have had no problems whatsover binding a current manufactured Orange receiver to a Spektrum dx6, dx7 or dx8 Tx and have 3 in current use.

I stress the word ‘current’. The current Orange receivers will only work with DSM2 & DSMX protocols, which is the current operating system for Spektrum radios. Older radios, perhaps 5+ years old, were DSM and the newer (current) receivers will not work with the older system and vice-versa.

So, I would suggest you first check that both the receiver and Tx are the same protocol and that will be clear from the specification label on the receiver and the Tx manual/ front/rear cover.

I would also assume you have plugged in the binding plug to the receiver as nothing will happen if that is missing. It has to go in the bind socket and I had one really cheap orange receiver bought from the back of van (yes!) that had the label on back to front.

Finally, if I remember correctly, some early version 1 orange receivers had a button you needed to push, to also facilitate the binding process,

If the answers to the above bring no luck, then I have no idea what is wrong - sorry.

Good luck

Paul Freshney.

Martin Field 115/06/2018 21:55:46
564 forum posts
6 photos

Paul, thanks for your thoughts. The Orange Rx. is DSM2, I think, either that or DSMX. The Spektrum DX5e is DSMX, but its instructions insist it is completely compatible with the alternative protocol. Do you happen to know which way round for the label is correct? I have read of that being found in other cases. Mine has the bind plug in the left side as you look down on the top surface with the plug section towards you. It says BIND/BATT.

I can afford to cast out the Rx as it only cost me £8, but I will have to find an RX. that will bind with the Tx as the Tx. was not an amount I am prepared to write off.

So, now I need to find something that will definitely bind with the Tx.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 115/06/2018 22:34:13
564 forum posts
6 photos

Well, I just bought some Chinese (ain't it all) Rx. that actually specifies my Tx. for compatibility. It's called an S603. I will also get some heavy duty alkalines for the TX. when the new Rx. arrives as it might be that that has stopped the binding of the Orange. I have no idea what the lights on the TX. refer to.

I can spend the weeks before it arrives from Hong Kong discharging and recharging my new rechargeables for the boat system's RC (sail winch and steering only, I'm really not ready for ESCs).

Cheers,

Martin

Paul Freshney16/06/2018 00:18:55
293 forum posts
15 photos

Martin

I am currently not at home, away at our daughter’s, but I think your description of how you see your Orange Rx is correct.

With regard to a receiver, obviously a Spektrum original branded one should always work, but the cheapest is now c£30 or so.

If all else fails, then Al’s Hobbies are now the UK agent for Spektrum and offer a service facility I understand.

A couple of other thoughts:

The Tx and Rx actually will sometimes NOT bind if too close together on the bench. A metre or so apart is best, and the same applies when switching on at the pond side, that is assuming you have got it all working ok at home!

Batteries? If you have flashing lights on the Tx and Rx, then I would guess they are okay.

Finally, I stopped using the oblong orange receivers with a very short aerial (I only paid £4!) because they were/are park flyer, ie relatively short range. Currently I am using the orange 6 channel telemetry enabled receivers in two hulls because at £17.70 each from HobbyKing they are a third of the price of the genuine Spektrum version, one of which came with the Dx8 Tx, These Orange £17.70 receivers have two quite long aerials and are described as ‘full range’.

Very finally, my experience with r/c is that it is handy either to have two of everything, OR to have a friend with the same brand of system, because you can then compare the two to find the fault. For example, you currently don’t know for sure if the Tx or Rx is at fault, even though as you say, the Tx is making all the right light signals/noises and it is probably therefore a receiver problem.

Cheers for now - back to baby sittting...

Paul.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor