Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Sail servo

Help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Aitken 114/06/2018 19:31:11
1 forum posts
Hi looking for help I have a kyosho seawind 2nd hand it's been lying about for a while the sail arm servo has stopped working it's a hitec hs715bb sail arm and I want to replace it with something the same but not to expensive I have looked on ebay but don't know what one I looked at one with 20kg torque and 180 degrees but the I have is only 90 degrees turn help please
Gareth Jones15/06/2018 09:22:16
791 forum posts
1067 photos

HI David,

I think the best fit would be a Hitec HS765HB sail arm servo. It is almost the same size or perhaps very slightly shorter in length and has the near enough the same torque as the HS715BB and the same arm length. The principal difference is the travel is greater at 140 degrees rather than 90. Your options to reduce the travel would be to adjust it within your transmitter, if it has that capability, or use a device such as a Servomorph, available from Component Shop. The Servomorph allows you to adjust the range and speed of a servo. You would need to find space inside the hull, but they are not very big.

Gareth

Malcolm Frary15/06/2018 10:03:49
892 forum posts

Greater travel for the same stick movement is rarely a problem, depending on the original string layout. On most boats designed with 90 degrees in mind, the line runs through the arm end and doubles back to a bulkhead, increasing travel but reducing torque. A longer arm or one with more travel just needs connecting direct to the arm. This assumes that there is room inside the boat for the greater travel. Alternatively, shorten the arm.

Or my favoured solution, use one of the small drum winch servos. Same size as a standard servo, lots of pull, usually costs less than a sail arm servo, easier to mount.

Either way, first thing is to determine the actual travel needed, then start looking for solutions.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor