Why is the water blue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul T08/06/2018 17:05:24
7143 forum posts
1206 photos
2 articles

Dear All

Does anybody know what has been added to the water at New Brighton boating lake to make it appear blue?

The water has the appearance of Elsan Blue but without the peculiar smell.

Paul

Cookie08/06/2018 17:53:37
117 forum posts

Paul , Maybe they have just given it a good clean out ,years ago i had a issue with algi in my pond and on the advice of my local aquatic guy i added a cup full of this liquid and the water turned a amazing blue colour and it did indeed cure the algi ,maybe that's why ?

Dave yes

Paul T08/06/2018 18:05:44
7143 forum posts
1206 photos
2 articles

Hi Cookie

It could be something like that, the club members certainly keep the water and surrounding area very clean, whilst I was there I witnessed one of the members fishing out some wind blown rubbish with a sieve on a stick.

Paul

Gareth Jones08/06/2018 18:06:44
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Paul,

It's almost certainly a blue dye added to the water to reduce the penetration of sunlight into the pond and inhibit the growth of weed. Its is quite commonly used now that the use of herbicides to kill the weeds is banned.

If you want the full technical details there is an article here:- **LINK**

Gareth

Paul T08/06/2018 18:28:57
7143 forum posts
1206 photos
2 articles

Hi Gareth

Thank you for the information as it certainly seems to answer the question yes

Paul

Chris Fellows08/06/2018 23:11:48
695 forum posts
405 photos

Yes, they must have used that at Knightcote, as the water there is a very unnatural blue.

Obviously environmentally friendly as I saw a load of tadpoles, a newt and plenty of large fish.

Chris

Cookie09/06/2018 07:39:45
117 forum posts

Yes i was able to leave the fish in when i put the liquid in , i seem to remember the blue tint lasted a couple of months .

Dave wink

Chris Fellows09/06/2018 20:11:52
695 forum posts
405 photos

Few photos from Knightcote:

TadpolesBig FishHydropro Affinity

Paul T09/06/2018 20:29:42
7143 forum posts
1206 photos
2 articles

Hi Chris

Yes it looked just like your photos especially the last one, at one point when my boat was chewing up the waves it created a mass of bubbles in its wake and I thought that some wag had put detergent in the pond.

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor