By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Futaba 6ex

Thought I'd upgrade to a new FASST transmitter - mistake???

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jo Brien07/06/2018 20:53:25
5 forum posts

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and hope that the cumulative expertise of the forum can answer my simple question.

I have been using a Futaba 3GR FASST transmitter for some time to control my IOM and it's worked ok but is a bit bashed about. Saw a Futaba 6ex on ebay and thought that it would act as an upgrade for my current tx. I am using a FRSKY F4R receiver and the 6ex affiliates to that ok. I am looking to re-create in the 6ex a simple mode 2 transmitter to work with the receiver. (left stick to control the sail winch and right stick the rudder). But there are so many settings for ACRO or HELO that it is not clear how best to do this.

I have got the sail winch to work on the left stick ok but when I use the left stick it causes the rudder winch to activate. I can't seem to find a way to make the two sticks work independently.

I haven't yet been through all the options although I've tried most and I'm wondering whether I should put this unit back on ebay

Any assistance would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Jo

Gareth Jones07/06/2018 21:14:38
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Hi Jo,

It sounds as though the previous owner set up the transmitter with a mix of the two channels for some reason. For an aircraft the channels you are using would probably be throttle and aileron which seems a strange mix but maybe its a helicopter thing, about which I know nothing.

I suggest you check whether the transmitter is currently configured for a helicopter. If it is, you might be better switching it to a conventional aircraft configuration which is usually simpler and easier to understand. If the two channels are still interconnected, try and see if there is a mix setup in the transmitter, in which case 'unset' it.

Best of luck,

Gareth

Jo Brien07/06/2018 21:45:11
5 forum posts

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your response. I attempted to use the helo settings, after not having much success using the Acro (fixed aircraft). I’ll go back and retook at the settings, although I don’t recall seeing a “mix” setting there. Thanks for the pointer though.

Kind regards

Jo

Paul Freshney07/06/2018 21:49:36
293 forum posts
15 photos

Jo

If you have the instructions, there will almost certainly somewhere be a  reset facility that puts it back to ex-factory.

Then you can start from scratch with setting it up as you want.

If you do not have the printed instructions, then they will almost certainly be online somewhere.

Good luck

Paul.

Edited By Paul Freshney on 07/06/2018 21:50:28

Edited By Paul Freshney on 07/06/2018 21:51:44

Jo Brien07/06/2018 22:08:57
5 forum posts

Hi Paul, the resetting to factory default I’ve done a couple of times, the issue with this controller is that from there it is not intuitive to allocate one function to one lever and another to the other. I think Gareth msy have something with looking at the “mix” setting, which I’ll take a look at tomorrow.

Cheers

Jo

Paul Freshney08/06/2018 16:24:46
293 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Jo

One other thought and that is that perhaps the previous owner physically fiddled around inside the Tx and plugged one of the dual axis stick pots into a different socket. Most current Tx’s inside have the stick pots physically plugged into their relevant sockets on the main board inside the Tx body. Thiinking back, I deliberately ‘confused’ a Multiplex Cockpit Tx by physically moving a stick pot connection - this was (for me) much easier than fiddling around with mixes etc to achieve what I wanted some years ago. So maybe, just maybe, it is a physical problem and not electronic, particularly as you have already ‘reset’.

Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers

Paul.

Jo Brien08/06/2018 18:32:22
5 forum posts

Hi Paul,

Interesting thought, although the unit, bought unboxed was sold as new and certainly looks unused and untampered with. The origin appears to be Ripmax Ltd. so maybe it is discontinued stock. The serial number is later than the ones that had software problems being A8 so I suspect that either I haven't found the correct settings, or it's a defective unit, although if the latter I'd expect it to exhibit areas of non-responsiveness when being programmed. It doesn't appear to do that so at the moment I'm assuming that it's a settings issue.

That's the reason I was hoping to copy the settings of a similar unit that is currently working with a sailboat.

Cheers

Jo

Gareth Jones08/06/2018 18:37:01
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Hi Jo,

I had a look through the manual for my Futaba 6EX and there is a helicopter mix that involves aileron and throttle, channels 1 and 3. Its described on page 28 in the manual if that helps. However I would have thought doing a factory reset would have cleared it.

Gareth

Jo Brien09/06/2018 08:49:25
5 forum posts

Thanks Gareth,

I did see that in the manual and I also enabled and then disabled it during the mode programming. Knowing how all the modes interact is a bit of a learning curve.

Cheers

Jo

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor