Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Sail suppliers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Field 113/05/2018 19:34:39
562 forum posts
6 photos

Hi all, I am getting close to where I need to think about sails for Vanity. But I can't find anything suitable for a large gaffer. Can anyone recommend a supplier of white cotton sails for a Gaffer that won't break the bank?

Cheers,

Martin

Ray Wood 213/05/2018 21:16:17
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Martin

Frank Parsons of NYLET provides an excellent service, you may need to send him a drawing,but has most designs in his archive.

Regards Ray

Martin Field 113/05/2018 21:25:50
562 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Ray,

his only mention of a gaff rig is small or medium and the medium is priced at £195, which is way outside what I can justify. I'd be happy to pay about half that.

Otherwise my dear wife will have to get to the bottom of the tension problem on her machine because I have no idea how they work!

Martin

Tony Hadley13/05/2018 22:10:32
897 forum posts
536 photos

Reading this review on Moonbeam, a traditional model yacht sailmaker, Apex is mentioned in the Sails section. They are also mentioned on the Vintage Model Yacht Group website. No email but a phone number is given.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Other thoughts would be to ask racing yacht suppliers PJ Sails and Housemartin. Easy found on the internet.

Ray Wood 213/05/2018 22:22:27
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Martin,

These sails cost £10 for the material and a month of evenings hand stitching including bolt ropes, If I can do it anybody can

Regards Rayimg_9187.jpg

Martin Field 113/05/2018 22:26:55
562 forum posts
6 photos

Ray, I'm not sure I have the patience for a month of evenings! And I have no idea how to stitch sails in the tiny way they'd need doing. Where do you learn how to do such a thing? I could always sew a button on or even mend a few inches of fabric, but a neat job of the right stitch on yards of fabric terrifies me!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 113/05/2018 22:34:49
562 forum posts
6 photos

Tony, thanks for the links. The VMYG one was 404 Not found, but then that lot are so far behind it's a wonder they don't say hi to themselves on the way back.

I'll give the guy a call on the other one.

Martin

Edited By Martin Field 1 on 13/05/2018 23:48:47

Ray Wood 216/05/2018 20:14:46
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Martin,

Thinking about sail making, probably harder than actually doing it, like big handkerchiefs cut oversize to allow for the hems, found wonder web can be used and ironed into the hems prior to sewing, with a machine or stretch along a batten and sew a running stitch veronica new main.jpgby hand, wonderful therapy from working on a computer all day

Regards Ray

Martin Field 116/05/2018 20:42:47
562 forum posts
6 photos

I have come to the conclusion, Ray, that I will have to do it myself or hope my wife can get the tension problem sorted out on her machine. I'm sure she can do it as she used to make naughty knickers for a job and was the Mrs. Fixit for the factory, sorting all machine and machinist problems. It would also be lovely to have a considerable input from her in the model, and I certainly consider sails to be a considerable input!

But please explain....Wonder web? And a running stitch?? Stretch along a batten???

Thanks for your interest.

Fortunately as I am now officially retired I don't need therapy any more!

Cheers,

Martin

Ray Wood 216/05/2018 22:01:12
1917 forum posts
685 photos

Hi Martin

Wonder web is a heat activated adhesive strip put into the hem & ironed to fix the hem temporarily prior to sewing it is fabric based and stops the sail edge going crinkly, I tried PVA glue but not as good, the sail edge is best tensioned along a timber batten to keep the luff or leach straight. Hope this helps, I'm sure your good lady can explain the running stitch

Regards Ray242 hh 090218 006.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor