Artesania Latina Hellen H96

Fishing Boat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
harry smith 109/05/2018 09:48:10
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

Hi All

After buying a kit from an auction site and one of our club members making an offer buy it.

I sold it to him because of other projects.

I few months down the track other member bought one finished but with a few problems.

He decided to swap it for a faster boat, so I swap my Sea Commander minus radio for the Hellen.

The main problems with the Hellen was a plastic prop with a glue on blade and paint cracks along the ABS hull to the wooden keel strips.

I replaced the prop and have grooved out the filler and refilled with fibreglass filler.

The radio aerial wires are missing, the cabin is only sitting in position ( two 10mm magnets with fix this one) and no bow and side fenders.

Installed the 2.4G radio today and motor and rudder working OK.

Harry Smith

harry smith 109/05/2018 09:51:07
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

hellen 08.jpghellen 07.jpghellen 06.jpghellen 04.jpghellen 03.jpghellen 02.jpgHi All

I better add a few pics of the beast !!!!hellen 01.jpg

harry smith 110/05/2018 02:35:23
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

hellen 10.jpgHi All

The crack paint on the keel I found the wooden bits had came away from the ABS hull.

Reglue and stripped out the old filler.

All sanded back and off the hobby shop for some paint(of course I did not have that colour in the paint draw).

Harryhellen 09.jpg

ashley needham10/05/2018 08:46:42
7394 forum posts
159 photos

Harry. That's a nice little boat. Those plastic 3 blade props are OK, but have no reverse power due to the fine pitch. Oddly enough I have found in the past that they can be quite satisfactory with even quite quick motors.

I presume you will brass this one up for the look and having some reverse?

Ashley

harry smith 110/05/2018 10:38:36
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

Hi Ashley

DM is in for a shock, me with a slow boat !!!!!!

I had a 50mm brass prop given to me today as the plastic one is 55mm.

I will test the props to see what is the best.

The brush motor is a direct drive 555 and the original prop would get the motor too hot.

Both the plastic and brass ones have about half the blade area so it may help the motor run cooler.

I seen an unstarted Precedent Perkasa 49 and half kit up the auction house with a destroyer (plastic).

May see if it has all the accessories in the box.

It's one of the last items for auction and we have a rain storm with heavy winds, so I maybe in with a cheap shot.

The model boat mag with your boat arrive in the shop this week and a guy was saying to his wife what a strange boat.

I said Ashley builds s lot of strange stuff !!!

The guy said do you know him.

I said ye he a guy I meet on a model boat forum site.

So we had a good talk about modelling.

Harry

harry smith 112/05/2018 12:29:10
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

Hi All

Well all the filling is sanded down and one side has been painted in the repair area with Revell NO.38.

The colour was a match but in matt .

The wheelhouse was only sitting in position, so I am add two 10mm magnets forward and aft down to metal strips.

As you may have seen in the pics the wireless aerials are missing, so I am working on this as well.

This boat is not going to be a show pony, it is going to be used and in salt water !!!

I made some fenders, but they are too white, so of to the tea cup for a bit of browning.

Harry

harry smith 117/05/2018 06:22:41
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

Hi All

Magnets setup to hold down the wheelhouse.

Cut out part of the wheelhouse floor to install a captain and seat.

Will install a couple of LED up lights so you can see the captain inside.

Waiting for the glue to set on my aerial bits and install them.

Using black beads with copper wire for the aerial sections.

Have to workout how to fix the leads to the wheelhouse so they can be disconnected easily .

Harry

harry smith 121/05/2018 10:12:10
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

Hi All

Installed my home made fenders and four tyres( from a swap meet at the weekend).

Some of the rigging was a bit too loose, so another job done.

As there a couple of holes in the floor I up lighted the wheelhouse.

Disaster one of the windows(angle corner fell in(old glue).

After making a new one I tried to install it!!!

TOTAL FAILURE !!!

I have a convertible wheelhouse (NO RUTH).

Looks like LED lights for port, starboard and stern.

Hope to get it all finish for Thursday night for a bit of a show for a sick mate.

Harry

harry smith 122/05/2018 09:43:22
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

no roof.jpgrepaired hull.jpgfenders 2.jpgHi All

Still no roof, but, all new Perspex windows and added fenders.

Found I miss a small area on the hull with paint.

Harry

fenders 1.jpg

harry smith 123/05/2018 06:43:37
1098 forum posts
1289 photos

Hi All

Still no roof !!!

But, I added working nav lights and a few more interior lights.

Hopefully it's finished by tomorrow night !!!

Harry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor