By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Scratch build yacht plan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Edward Boyce01/04/2018 14:52:06
2 forum posts

With good plans from Dave Milbourn and article from MBM and build log from Bluebird, I am on my way to completing my first two models - Fairey Swordsman and Huntsman. Looking for plan for scratch sailing yacht. Have learned that there are plans and then there are plans. No chance to study before you buy. My limited skill has been helped immensely by good plans and an understandable explanation. Any suggestions?

Gareth Jones01/04/2018 16:09:39
791 forum posts
1067 photos

Hi Edward,

To some degree it depends on what sort of yacht you want to build, do you want a class racing yacht or a more semi scale model of a real yacht? I have been impressed with the sailing abilities of a Vic Smeed Starlet which would fall in the second category. The plans are available from Sarik (MM1048) and there is quite a lot of background information available, including that originally published in Model Boats magazine back in Dec 1966 onwards. It's a relatively simple ply hard chine hull about 34 inches long and would be a logical follow on from a Swordsman or Huntsman. Wood packs and sails are also readily available - have a look at the Belair website **LINK**

Gareth

Dave Milbourn01/04/2018 16:53:05
3999 forum posts
282 photos

Edward

Thanks for your kind comments.
I must agree with Gareth to the extent that Vic Smeed's designs are second to none - the man was quite simply a modelling genius. The Starlet has been a consistently popular model since it was first published over 50 years ago. If you adopt the materials, techniques and adhesives which you used building the two Fairey boats then I'm sure you'll enjoy building a Starlet or similar. Things have progressed a long way beyond balsa cement and cellulose dope!

Dave M

Eddie Lancaster01/04/2018 18:58:24
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi, Edward, I too was looking for a project last year after a hip replacement, and I came across Varmint in the September edition of MB. there is a good instructive article on the build and once the hull has been made sails and mast etc. are all readily available off the shelf. After that I was searching for another yacht to build and stumbled across the Racing Sparrow from New Zealand, for around £8.00 you get the plan and instructions to download, its around 78 cm. long, the mast is simple to construct and I used many of the fittings from the Dragon Force yacht to complete it. I made the sails, but with the sail plan that wasn't too difficult, I have attached a photo of it below.

dscf3123 (2).jpg

Good luck with your search.

Eddie

Malcolm Frary02/04/2018 10:28:13
892 forum posts

A quick google for "free model yacht plan" will pop up a surprising number of hits. If you stick with hard chine designs from what is available, you can develop from the techniques learnt from the previous builds.

A nice size simple design here - http://www.sealevel.demon.nl/english/downloadsXL25modelyacht.htm -

Bears a remarkable resemblance to a design called "Akela" from the late '80s. Assuming that the object is pleasure sailing rather than formal racing, any of the designs suggested so far will do the job.

A massively important bit is the ballast - much easier to arrange on a slab type fin by using lead sheet, a large yacht with a long fin and tube type weight needs you to learn about casting lead, smaller versions can use reshaped fishing weights.

Ray Wood 202/04/2018 10:46:15
1981 forum posts
706 photos

Hi All,

I thought I would nip down to Wickes for lead sheet flashing, was surprised the smallest roll was £40 which makes the commercial keel bulbs look like good value  I do cast my own, so no church roof is safe around here :-!

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 02/04/2018 10:48:23

Derek Bradley03/04/2018 13:48:55
106 forum posts
23 photos

Edward,

Have a look at the 'Building Ardent' blog, which may give you some inspiration. Plans can be obtained from Sarik - they are very good - and also include a copy of the original article from MMI.

Derek.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor