Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

RMS St. Helena 1989 - 2018

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Wilson29/01/2018 07:54:51
1739 forum posts
201 photos

Of the 19 ships that I sailed in between early 1961 and late 1992, only one remains today (29th January, 2018). That ship is the passenger liner RMS St. Helena, that I joined at Cardiff in early 1990, at the start of voyage 2. I left two years later in Falmouth when I left the sea. The ship has now left Cape Town with passengers and cargo, for the last time. In a few days, she will arrive at St. Helena to disembark passengers and discharge the cargo. She will then return to Cape Town to be laid up for sale. The future of the ship is not known, maybe she will be scrapped, or may be purchased to run from the Channel islands to the UK as a ferry. Here is the news link covering the final departure from Cape Town! **LINK**

Edited By Bob Wilson on 29/01/2018 07:55:49

Bob Wilson10/02/2018 06:45:01
1739 forum posts
201 photos

The RMS St. Helena makes her final sailing from St. Helena to Cape Town today, 10th February, 2018. On arrival Cape Town in about four days time, the ship will be withdrawn from service, and laid up fo sale, and that will be the end of the shipping service to the island. Here is the recent hstory of the ship: **LINK**

It doesn't seem like 28 years since I first joined the ship for voyage 2 at Cardiff. With this historic termination of the shipping service, the recently established air-link from St. Helena to Cape Town, has been withdrawn for resons not immediately clear. Anyone now wishing to go to or from the island will have to fly via Johannesburg at extra cost. Progress - I suppose! face 24

Bob

Bob Wilson11/02/2018 11:43:36
1739 forum posts
201 photos

Here is the final sailing of the ship from St. Helena yesterday: **LINK** In about four days time, she will arrive at Cape Town and be disposed of - the end of an era, for me personally, as well as the island and the British Merchant Navy in general - the last survivor of all the 19 ships in which I sailed!

Bob

Bob Wilson11/02/2018 14:19:49
1739 forum posts
201 photos

Sunday, 11th February, 2018.

The RMS St. Helena has now turned round, and is currently heading back to the island because of an "emergency" on board! They expect to arrive at 0600 in the morning, when the "powers that be" may condescend to tell us what the emergency is!

Bob

Bob Wilson11/02/2018 21:39:09
1739 forum posts
201 photos

More images of the Last Farewell (Well - Almost the last!) **LINK**

The ship is due back again at 0600 in the morning, probably to land a medical emergency, and will again depart for Cape Town and oblivion.

These are yesterday's farewell images.

Bob

Bob Wilson17/02/2018 16:45:38
1739 forum posts
201 photos

The ship finally docked at Cape Town at 0916 this morning. Passengers disembarked shortly afater, and when the cargo has been discharged, that it the end of the line! Over 500 years of St. Helena shipping history come to a close - the last survivor of all the ships in which I served!

Bob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor