Forum sponsored by Dremel

Hobbico

Owner of Revell and others

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Hadley12/01/2018 09:12:52
839 forum posts
462 photos

Spotted on facebook, Hobbico have filed for bankruptcy. Probably best known in the plastic kit section of our hobby.

Hobbico are owners of plastic kit manufacturers Revell (US and Germany), Haswega, Monogram and Italeri. These are shown in the link, click on 'our brands', 'Explore our Brands' and then 'Building Kits'.

**LINK**

shipwright12/01/2018 10:09:13
250 forum posts
54 photos

Tony,

Although I never built plastic models the demise of another model/kit supplier is a shame but not surprising. Yet another indication that younger people are in general less interested in constructing models (of any type) than previous generations. Computer games, smartphones etc seem more attractive to children today - though there are obviously a few exceptions and I am aware of sterling efforts by some people on this website to attract youngsters into model making.

Ian

Ray Wood 212/01/2018 10:21:49
550 forum posts
374 photos

Hi All

I guess most of us started building models with a 2 shilling Airfix kit in plastic bag ??

Regards Ray

Banjoman12/01/2018 10:35:13
1034 forum posts
2319 photos

Ray,

I certainly did -- mine was the 1:600 HMS Victory kit, sometime in the winter of 1973/74, when I was 8 going on 9 ... I don't know exactly what the price was, though, in Swedish krona, but probably in the region of 1 kr 50 or so.

Mattias

Banjoman12/01/2018 10:40:35
1034 forum posts
2319 photos

I also note that another brand in the Hobbico portfolio, perhaps of more immediate interest to r/c modelers, is Futaba ...

Mattias

Ray Wood 212/01/2018 10:55:50
550 forum posts
374 photos

Hi Mattias

Airfix kits = Happy days !! Our favourite store ALDI here in the UK are selling a small range of Series 1 Airfix kits for £3.99 which is great value and 1-600 scale HMS Victory is one of them, kit sales must have fallen off a cliff when Woolworths stopped selling them on the High Streets a few years ago

Fortunately I have 200+ kits of all sorts in my loft space as insulation for a rainy day

Shame about Futaba, have some of their sets from flying days, but now use Carson or Hitec for my boats.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 12/01/2018 10:56:37

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 12/01/2018 10:57:23

Banjoman12/01/2018 11:34:01
1034 forum posts
2319 photos

Ray,

Fortunately, I think that I have to back-pedal on the Futaba bit; further checking seems to indicate that Hobbico were/are only their US distributors, so the brand as such should not be affected were Hobbico to go bankrupt.

For my part, I haven't built any plastic kit since my late teens; the last one (Monogram's 1:8 1932 Ford Roadster) still sits part-built in its box, after my attempt at r/c conversion failed back in the early 1980s. I might be tempted to get one of those series 1 Airfix ships, though, just to see what I could make of one today; however, I would then probably to go for the one I liked the best back in the day, namely HMS Shannon ...

Mattias

Tony Hadley12/01/2018 11:49:25
839 forum posts
462 photos

Looking at the Airfix website, they now only list one ship kit in their web shop, H.M.S. Victory as a starter set and it would appear that their main focus is aircraft.

**LINK**

The interest in plastics is that I like to 'throw in' a plastic kit in-between builds. Never built one as an r/c conversion, just OOB builds. The photograph is my latest, Revell's 1:700 R.M.S. Olympic, as said it is an OOB (Out of Box) build and their are inaccuracies. I've just started their Fairplay tug too.

Reading Thomas Graham's book 'Remembering Revell' their are few lines which sum it up - "a new product appeared in American stores: an electronic device that hooked up to TV sets and allowed youngsters to play games on their television screens, it was another straw in the wind signalling changes that threatened the model kit industry" then later - "We watched our charts, and the trends going down. We could see possible extinction coming". This was from the mid to late 1970s.

olympic (9).jpg

Ray Wood 212/01/2018 12:00:20
550 forum posts
374 photos

Hi All

The Hornby museum at Margate is well worth a visit and interesting as it has a history of Airfix since their first kit for a tractor, and plenty of built examples and metal moulds etc + the trains, Scalectrics and super collection of Italian built model cars.

Regards Ray

Peter Fitness16/01/2018 03:07:33
507 forum posts
215 photos

Hobbico do own Revell and, I'm informed, Monogram, which is part of Revell, but, to the best of my knowledge, don't own Hasegawa or Italeri, they are distributors for these brands. Hobbico's main retail outlet is on-line and mail order company, Tower Hobbies in Champaign, Illinois, USA.

Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Boats? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Expo Tools July 14th
Shrek
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor