By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Of all the model boat discipline’s that you’ve not yet tried, which would you most like to have a go at?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: Of all the model boat disciplines that you’ve not yet tried, which would you most like to have a go at?

Scale (non military)  
7%

Scale (warships)  
11%

Scale sailing boats  
7%

Scale sailing ships  
7%

Powerboats (elec)  
0%

Powerboats (i.c.)  
2%

Steam powered models  
24%

Submarines  
20%

Yacht racing  
2%

Plank-on-frame  
7%

Waterline dioramas  
0%

Trad' wooden boats  
2%

Trad' wooden yachts  
4%

Plastic kits to R/C  
7%

(45 votes)

Graham Ashby 109/01/2018 13:16:15
216 forum posts
129 photos
16 articles

A new year, a new poll! Well, why not? If you can take a minute to tick a box we'd love to know your model boating ambitions for 2018 and beyond.

Edited By Graham Ashby on 09/01/2018 13:30:41

Colin Bishop09/01/2018 17:22:51
5192 forum posts
6120 photos
421 articles

Scale sail for me but they do take up a lot of storage space.

Colin

Ray Wood 209/01/2018 17:25:36
2838 forum posts
988 photos

Gas Turbine powered Hydroplane, Graham will you lend me yours ??

Regards Ray

ashley needham09/01/2018 17:47:57
7639 forum posts
159 photos

I was given a Mantua POF Victory by the chaps when I left work. I am summoning up the wherewithal to tackle it....

​Ashley

Graham Ashby 109/01/2018 20:53:18
216 forum posts
129 photos
16 articles
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 09/01/2018 17:25:36:

Gas Turbine powered Hydroplane, Graham will you lend me yours ??

Regards Ray

Ha! You can hire it Ray, but only if you promise not to get it wet wink

Graham Ashby 109/01/2018 21:07:27
216 forum posts
129 photos
16 articles

I'm caught between scale sail, submarines, traditional wooden yachts and steam, although a trad' wooden yacht is probably more realistic for this year. It's certainly a dilemma.

Ashley, I've always fancied a POF static build. Even having the unbuilt kit would be nice but I just know that if I buy one it'll sit in its box for years making me feel guilty. As a result I've decided to leave it in the shop a little longer.

Banjoman10/01/2018 07:19:09
1146 forum posts
2423 photos

While I have at some point or other touched upon at least some aspect of most (except submarines or powerboats) of the categories listed (another that might have been included is ship in a bottle), one that is definitely on my bucket list, is a scratch-built, true plank-on-frame (as opposed to the plank-on-bulkhead technique used in most kits) static merchant sailing ship, based on the methods and techniques described by Harold A. Underhill in his 1958 classic Plank on Frame Models and Scale Masting & Rigging.

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 10/01/2018 07:19:56

Ray Wood 210/01/2018 09:31:55
2838 forum posts
988 photos

Hi Mattias

Yes you've have nailed it "The Final Frontier" in proper modelling is planks on fabricated frames with tree nail fastenings, I also have the Harold Underhill books, and made the mistake of buying second hand his drawings for a 73 Gun Ship of the Line circa 1812, 6 sheets of beautifully detailed drawings !! Actually wished at the time I hadn't !! we are beginners with our efforts so far

One day I'll have a go !!

Regards Ray

Tim Cooper10/01/2018 09:55:08
464 forum posts
190 photos

Some kind of sailing boat or ship but I will never have the storage space.

At the present I don't have time for much at all as we have a 9 week Black lab / Golden Retreiver cross. Adorable but hard work, at least he will grow up faster than the kids!

Tim

Tony Hadley10/01/2018 16:33:45
914 forum posts
559 photos

A scale sail would be interesting. Either the Mary J. Ward (Schooner) or Ruby B. (Cutter rigged pilot boat), by Victor model products look interesting kits to build. They are expensive and the cost of shipping from the USA are off-putting.

**LINK**

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor