Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Water Pumps & Smoke Genertators

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fatcat07/06/2008 01:18:00
41 forum posts

Hi,

I will shortly be building a speedline trent kit and i had ideas of having the exhausts working with smoke and water comming out. The smoke thing wont be that much of an issue i dont think however i am scared of the water thing. i wanted more water to come out whenever i increase throttle etc. this isnt an issue either but what really scares me is having to chop a big hole in the bottom of the hull

has anybody had experience in these things because i'd rather not ruin it before ive even started.

i have been looking at build guides for the speedline severn and sound units and things have been purchased from jjc electronics. now whenever i try to get in contact with these people via internet, there simply is no trace of them. have they shut shop and ran away or something? whats going on.

i understand that the sound cards from jjc where pretty much the best for lifeboats but if they are no longer around, who do i get a trent engine sound card from? (something which has variable noise aswell whenever i go faster etc...)

dan

Manxman07/06/2008 19:08:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Dan,

You don't need to chop a large hole out of your hull.

You just need to drill a small hole ! - large enough to fit a water scoop into (about 5-8mm).  If you place the scoop behind the prop this will force the water through the tube and out the exit.  The amount of water will vary with the speed.

The downside is you could end up with too much water and have it looking like a fire monitor.  One way to solve that is to fit a adjuster screw (available at pet stores that sell fish, these are used to control air flow and cost just a couple of bob for the plastic type).  You could also fit the scoop in front of the prop, this would greatly reduce the amount passing through.

Cheers - Ken

Charles Oates08/06/2008 09:26:00
642 forum posts
52 photos

Hi Dan. kens' spot on with the water flow issue, his method works well. As to jjc units the do seem to have dissapeared. The two links below will help, Westbourne were main sellers of jjc and will give you up to date info on availability, if any.

Action are able to advise on an alternative, I think they may be developing something themselves.

Chas

www.action-electronics.co.uk

www.westbourne-models.com

Fatcat08/06/2008 22:47:00
41 forum posts

Hi guys,

Thanks for that, still a scary thought tho isnt it... i will buy a proper pump and run some trials with it with the actual exhaust unit i will use for the trent. if its no good then i wont bother destroying my hull.

what about smoke units, which ones are recommended? i heard jjc did one called old smokey which was meant to be quite good. i have emailed westbourne models and awaiting a reply on the jjc electronics thing.

thanks again

dan

Manxman09/06/2008 20:26:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Dan,

Pump will be fine, remember though, if you want the output to be variable you will need to wire it into your motor circuit, either directly or through a mixer !

Should look good though - Ken

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor