Forum sponsored by Dremel

cooling system

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jake Knight06/06/2008 13:28:00
90 forum posts
24 photos

hi guys

is thare any way to make your own cooling rings for the motors?

because i want to keep costs down

Charles Oates08/06/2008 09:36:00
642 forum posts
52 photos

Hi Jake, I presume you want this for electric motors.

Get a length of small bore copper tube aroung 2 mm i/d. Heat it to red hot and quench it in cold water. This will make it ductile, or easy to bend. Wrap a few turns around the motor,  and lead the ends to a suitable location for conecting up. that about does it.

This method has been used for decades and works very well.

Chas

Jake Knight08/06/2008 15:44:00
90 forum posts
24 photos

i though i could do it some way like that

do you know where i could get the copper pipe from as my local hobbie shop only sales brass

thanks

jake

Paul T08/06/2008 20:29:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Jake

Try your local plumbers merchant and ask for 6mm OD microbore pipe this will give you an internal dia of 3mm, but as 6mm is quite rare these days you might have to get 8mm OD which will give you @ 5mm internal dia.

Follow Chas's instructions to make it ductile and to make the bending easier and to avoid squashing the pipe walls try packing the pipe with dry sand, this will support the pipe walls whilst you bend it around the tight dia of a motor casing.

However in this modern age plumbers merchants also have microbore plastic pipe which is heat resistant and easy to bend.

Good luck

Paul

Jake Knight09/06/2008 10:07:00
90 forum posts
24 photos

thanks paul i was worried about the walls bending inwards

thanks paul

Paul T09/06/2008 11:06:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Hi Jake

No problem just remember to seal the ends of the pipe up before you start bending it.

Cheers

Paul

Jake Knight09/06/2008 15:35:00
90 forum posts
24 photos

why do you have to seal the ends up

is it to not let the sand out?

thanks again

jake

Paul T09/06/2008 19:20:00
7335 forum posts
1229 photos
2 articles

Sorry Jake

I did not explain myself very well, the process of sand filled copper pipe bending requires that one end of the pipe be sealed or stopped up (with a good bung) then you fill the pipe with sand and ram it in tight and then you bung up the other end so that the sand can't come out whilst bending.

Once you have finished all the bending then you remove both bungs and get the sand out.

Hope that this is clearer. (I am a dufus sometimes)

Paul

Manxman09/06/2008 20:50:00
440 forum posts
133 photos

B&Q sell 6-8-10mm micro bore copper pipe for heating systems, check their web site www.diy.com

I have to admit though I've never seen cooling coils so thick,  I've only seen them in 3mm copper and 4/5mm aluminium - for the smaller pipe try your local car scrap yard.  Oil pressure gauges always used them on the older cars, just need a Little cleaning with hot water and washing up soap !

Cheers - Ken

ps - just checked B&Qs site and they are not listing 6mm - though they do sell it in the bigger stores, you may need to try a normal plumbers store.

Bob Abell09/06/2008 21:01:00
9337 forum posts
2985 photos

These cooling coils ...ready made ....are availabell in most model shops.

As a matter of fact ........But....I`ve never fitted a cooling tube to any of my motorised models?

Bob the Hothead

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor