Forum sponsored by Dremel

RTTL help please

advice on motor selection

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Mason 313/11/2017 15:15:46
4 forum posts

Hi all,

Sorry but Think I put this in the wrong place initially I'm returning to model boats after over Fifty years of aeromodelling. I have built a number of boats of various types in the past. Vic Smeeds 34'' RTTL is the boat chosen, however the plan shows a DC Rapier Diesel engine and I know that these are regarded as environmental poison. So my question is: what electric motor to use and what type, and what propellor.

John W E13/11/2017 17:47:33
276 forum posts
272 photos

004 [800x600].jpg005 [800x600].jpg

Hi there Peter - are you going to build the model as per Plan single prop? or twin prop or even triple prop as some of these boats were? If you do a search on Mayhem - I build this model using Vic Smeed's plans as a reference and also I used an awful lot of original material from Vosper. My model has twin props both rotating in the same direction as per original. Props are 32 mm diameter 3 bladers and Mtronik motors vision 600s.

Edited By bluebird on 13/11/2017 17:50:16

Peter Mason 314/11/2017 03:57:20
4 forum posts

Hi Bluebird, That is an impressive boat, diagonal planking as well. I am almost lost for words. Sorry I should made clear I'll only use a single motor, that will be enough to cope with. My last launch built over forty years ago was a Fairy Swordsman from a Model Maker drawing.

Dave Milbourn14/11/2017 08:37:25
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Peter

I think a brushless motor would be the answer. I would personally go for this one **LINK**

with a 60A marine speed controller like this one **LINK**

and a 1.5" {40mm} diameter 3-blade cast bronze scale prop from Protean Design. Run the motor on 11.1v i.e. a 3S LiPo battery. I doubt that you would need the water-cooling facility. Note that 35mm diameter motors fit a standard glass-nylon moulded 500/600 sized motor mount like this one **LINK**

You'll need to remove the aluminium prop adapter from the back of the motor and use the plain 4mm shaft at the front for coupling to the prop shaft.

Dave M

Ray Wood 214/11/2017 08:58:22
2505 forum posts
864 photos

Hi Peter

Vic's RTTL is such a super drawing which I've had for years, it's on the to-do list, keep us posted with photos of your build progress, I also spent 40 years Aeromodelling and realised having turned out over 100 aeroplanes I had nothing to show for my labours and even harder to sell than boats ! , except lots of flying time, and I still fly electric to keep my hand/eye in

Regards Ray

John W E14/11/2017 15:59:06
276 forum posts
272 photos

Hi ya there Peter

Simplicity is sometimes the best policy by keeping it single prop - although I am not a great lover of brushless motors - I prefer the old ones (plug in and play ) instead of having to programme but that just me ..

The motor Dave Milbourn has mentioned will no doubt do the job - the thing to remember is - when Vic Smeed originally drew the plans up for 99% of his plans it was to use with materials that were available at the time. When the RTTL plans were originally drawn in the 1950s there wasn't a great choice of materials to build the craft from or was there a very good choice of motors to power the craft - compared to what we have these days.

Taking that into consideration we can now build a model using lighter materials and therefore requiring much less power to propel the model in the motor apartment to achieve a greater speed and this is why when I built my RTTL I only used 4mm ply for the bulkheads and I removed the centres of all of them which, if you have a look at the plan which Vic has drawn. you can see he has left several bulkheads 'solid'. He also uses a very thick keel which I reduced down to 4mm in thickness.

Hope this has given you some food for thought. John

Edited By bluebird on 14/11/2017 16:00:50

Peter Mason 319/11/2017 13:34:22
4 forum posts

Hi all, Many thanks for all the advice, I don't suppose this will be my last plea for help though.wink

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor