Forum sponsored by Dremel

Sea Breeze - Vintage Model Boat Company

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Graham Ashby 126/10/2017 19:57:28
216 forum posts
129 photos
16 articles

Well, it's humble but I couldn't help liking this one so I've cleared a space on my workbench and made a start. It's a nostalgia thing really. About 30 years ago I built what I believe was a Sea Hornet from the same company. I'm not sure why but I sold it – ready to go (complete with O.S. 10) – before it had even seen water. Typically, the guy who bought it loved it to bits, ran if for years thereafter and I've regretted selling it ever since. Anyway, I'll not make the same mistake again, so here goes...img_6041.jpg

Colin Bishop26/10/2017 21:38:51
4513 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

Enjoy the build Graham. Today's motors mean that you wil get the performance to match the design.

Colin

Graham Ashby 126/10/2017 22:03:55
216 forum posts
129 photos
16 articles

Thanks Colin, so far so good. Haven't even considered the choice of motor, controller and battery yet. Something nippy, I think.

harry smith 127/10/2017 08:50:19
1034 forum posts
1282 photos

Hi Graham

Will be watching your built, as I built a Sea Hornet from my mates Aerokits plan.

I used a 28mm brushless motor with a 45A ESC, a 3S Lipo battery and a 2 blade 32mm prop.

A 1200 to 1900kv motor is a good range.

I installed a B28-57-15L 1900kv 750 watt beast in the Hornet.

Harry Smith

Graham Ashby 127/10/2017 09:00:26
216 forum posts
129 photos
16 articles

Morning Harry,

Ah, good news! Post a few pics if you have them, I'd love to see it. How does it go on that set-up, I'm guessing quite well? I have more than enough 3S packs kicking around, that's for sure.

harry smith 127/10/2017 11:57:05
1034 forum posts
1282 photos

Hi Graham

A link to my Sea Hornet **LINK**

Clocked on GPS at 45KPH !!!

Harry

Dave Milbourn27/10/2017 14:26:31
3999 forum posts
282 photos

Graham

Harry isn't known as Harry the Larrikin for nothing. His need for speed is legendary and he has a "practice lake" about five km square, with his own private jetty! Tasmania, it seems, is a bit bigger than Surrey and Harry "does it his way"....

If your idea of a model boat is something that sails nearer to a scale-ish speed but with a LITTLE bit in reserve then I'd suggest adopting running gear similar to that in my Huntress i.e. 750kv 2836/11 Turnigy outrunner, 30A ESC, 3S LiPo and 3-blade 1.4" dia scale prop. There's a link to You Tube at the end of the article which, after 7mins 20 seconds, shows Huntress on the water. **LINK**

Not quite 45kph admittedly, but a lot easier on the nerves.

Dave M

Graham Ashby 127/10/2017 16:46:53
216 forum posts
129 photos
16 articles

Crikey Harry, that's travelling. Thanks for the link, it brought back happy memories. I must try and dig out an old pic of mine, just for interest.

Dave, the speed of your Huntress looks just about perfect – you've sold it to me. That is a lovely model, by the way.

harry smith 128/10/2017 09:12:54
1034 forum posts
1282 photos

Hi Graham

I have the plans on PDF and may be one day build another, but, 25% bigger !!!

Too dam small for my fingers !!!

I ran the Hornet with a 3 blade 30mm CNC prop today.

First pickup to 1/3 throttle was better, but, top end speed down about 5KPH.

I ran my Precedent Huntsman topless today(no cabin).

I was not planning to run it, but, a ballast check for the battery position .

But, the boys said give her a crack!!!

First run the bow was sitting up to much, so I moved the battery forward.

Second run, right on the money!!!

The boat sat level and turned very well !!!!

Only running the 3648-1450kv on 3S with my go to 2 blade 40mm prop.

Harry Smith

Senior- In- Retirement.

Graham Ashby 129/10/2017 15:22:45
216 forum posts
129 photos
16 articles

Hi Harry,

25% bigger sounds terrific. It also sounds as if you had a good day there. I'll be running mine off 3S as Dave suggested, I think.

I've made some modest progress now so I'll post a few snaps later.

Regards

Edited By Graham Ashby on 29/10/2017 22:15:41

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor