Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
tomarack20/05/2018 23:00:45
143 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Eddie,

the both letters were probably more delayed than I expected, I am sorry.

Some ideas you can find here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SThTGAgl8Q

> and here http://barge.homeunix.org/index.php/barge-building/15-build-reports/84-notes-on-sail-control-by-kimosubby

I sent you some next items .. you must click on the link and then save the content somewhere on your PC , and unzip content .. I have no other posiibilities.

I believe. I answered you question ,,When I built my first barge model, I was also forced to compromise on how to modify the rigging to be both functional and easy to use when controlling the RC model.I was forced to simplify control of the sheets of the main sail (servo 1)and at vangs (servo 2) I missed the taclkes. Likewise, I missed the tackles used for sailing control, located at the foot of the main mast. Fore sail is freely attached to fore horse , Leeboards are mounted on the hook in the upper position, but it is possible to manually control them. You need rudder servo. staysail can be let free (manually control) I can teccommend here Ivor Bittle pages > https://www.ivorbittle.com/
It is possible to omit the brails, these are not functional during the cruise, but it is an interesting detail that affects the appearance of the model... Try to look at photos of barge models . You can see plenty of modifications. it is difficult to list all the possibilities of simplification.

I think of a pudding proverb that is best tested by eating...

I think you will come to a number of improvements and simplifications yourself during the construction ... as it happened to me.

greetings

Tom

tomarack21/05/2018 18:52:38
143 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Eddie,

here you can see my barge masts fotografie0490u1.jpghttp://www.modelboats.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=48101&p=798921

the main mast is made from Alu tubes 14,12,10 mm dia, The brass wire of Jackstay is soldered to the M2 bolt heads that I screwed behind the back of the mast. ...it seemed to me that it was the easiest thing to do

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 21/05/2018 18:55:51

Martin Field 121/05/2018 23:24:45
564 forum posts
6 photos

Tom ,

keep an eye on the mast if it gets wet, as brass and aluminium don't like each other. In fact even Stainless steel and aluminium don't like each other and galvanic action will soon occur and is very difficult to stop.

Cheers,

Martin

Eddie Lancaster22/05/2018 09:12:05
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi, Tom, as you say everyone will have a different solution to any given problem depending on their experience, materials and equipment, I like to keep as close as I can to the original but there are always going to be compromises at our sizes.

With your help and suggestions I now have a better idea of where I am going with this build, some parts will be to scale others will be functional, as soon as I have something to show I will post them on my thread Ardent and other boats, so that Ray can have his thread back!

Eddie.

Ray Wood 222/05/2018 09:39:01
2546 forum posts
877 photos

bargesmaldon2.jpgHi Eddie,

Keep posting the Barge stuff on here, It's not my thread, I think it belongs to the subject

Lovely weekend at Maldon to celebrate 41st wedding anniversary, and my wife suggested it

Regards Raybargesmaldon1.jpg

Eddie Lancaster22/05/2018 13:21:23
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi Ray, Glad you had a good weekend, you must have a very understanding wife to allow you out to photograph boats on your anniversary!

How did your sailing go on Saturday? I had a full day with my Racing Sparrow, just for fun, no racing, wind was very light to zero so was very laid back.

Thank you I will use this post for my TB build .

Best wishes and congratulations.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 222/05/2018 13:33:02
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Thanks Eddie,

I think we are getting the hang of marriage now, the boss tells me what we are doing, and I do it

First time out on Saturday morning with my new Dragon Flite 95 light airs but handles well, cant wait to start racing with Graham and his crew down at Ashford

Regards Raydf95.jpg

Eddie Lancaster22/05/2018 15:40:03
849 forum posts
644 photos

The two most important words in a marriage 'yes dear'wink

By the way the new boat looks good as do the pictures of the fullsize.

Just received the new radio gear for my friends pond yacht, looking at the box it came in it has had a rough ride from China, it does work so must be made well internally.

Eddie

tomarack22/05/2018 16:15:44
143 forum posts
191 photos

ANSWER FOR MARTIN -

Yes, I know such troubles, but there is always something to be invented...

From the back side of the mast I was drilling holes, cutting M2 threads and screwing in steel screws. Brass wire I soldered onto these screws.No problem....the screws are also  glued.
Galvanic problems - surely, they exist, model but most of the year is in a dry place and so I think mast lifetime will exceed the life of the model ...

I even thought about carbon tubes , preferably conical, but I did not find the appropriate dimensions.

As I did not have suitable wooden sticks, so I had to choose this option.

Greetings

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 22/05/2018 16:35:08

Martin Field 122/05/2018 16:38:55
564 forum posts
6 photos

Tom, steel isn't much better, but if they're greased or painted you should be OK. Just a warning based on my fitting of an aluminium gutter all round the glass fibre bonnet of my Reliant van. Fitted to the GRP with stainless self-tappers, which very quickly got a white powder of doom round them after a few morning's dew. I had to squirt them with WD40 and a thin oil and that stopped it.

Cheers,

Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor