Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 218/05/2018 15:02:07
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi Eddie

The rig is all working as per the fullsize barge, that's the main reason I bought mine from Peter Simmonds of the Isle of White, he was a shipwright by profession he has built 11 Veronica's so far and many other fine ships & yachts,

He estimated 2 1/2 months fulltime to produce one barge including the rig !!

I reckon I'd knock out a hull in a month of evenings, but the bitts and bobs take a lot longer, have a look on the AMBO website for useful articles and photographs. Joining AMBO is a good idea, Richard Chesney produces a quarterly news letter

Regards Raybr eh ambo may 16 072.jpg

Eddie Lancaster18/05/2018 15:34:36
849 forum posts
644 photos

Thanks for your prompt reply, I will keep you informed of progress, but I will not be starting just yet, i will study the plans for some time so that I can understand how everything works and fits together.

Regards.

Eddie.

tomarack18/05/2018 16:43:33
143 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Eddie,

For quick orientation I can recommend a booklet by Peter Henin - sailing a Thames sailing barge - sail - by - sail, and maybe Masting and rigging by R Beckett.

For more information at beginning and detailed introduction and more detailed familiarization with barges there is very interesting book by Cooper and Chancellor - A handbook of Sailing Barges. ....of course there are other publications ...

Good luck !

Tom

Eddie Lancaster18/05/2018 21:20:55
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi, Tom, thanks for that info on reading matter, I think I am going to be fine with the hull but the rigging is a totally different matter and is going to be an interesting learning curve, but then I do like a challengethinking.so those two booklets seem to be needed!

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 219/05/2018 06:57:20
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi Eddie,

Good day for a wedding apparently ! Which means all the Wood women, wife,daughters and granddaughters will be glued to the tv and not notice me being at the lake at Bluewater to try out my new Dragon Flite 95 staying tonight at Maldon Essex, so should be taking some photos of 12" to the foot sailing barges

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster19/05/2018 08:34:05
849 forum posts
644 photos

What wedding? I'm off to the lake at Wicksteed park this morning, I am also going to try a new boat, the racing Sparrow, but I will also take Ardent as I do enjoy sailing her. I will be interested to see some pictures of full size barges, perhaps some taken with modellers in mind?

Have a good weekend.

Eddie

tomarack20/05/2018 11:21:47
143 forum posts
191 photos

Hi all,

I would like here stated my opinion on the simplification of documentation for building model ships and boats.

I would like to say here that the simplification that applies to any part of the model is very problematic, and everyone can have a different view, and in many cases this prevents you from building a better model.

I do not like it when a ship's plan is presented, with the author simplifying it for various reasons.Simplification is perhaps appropriate for beginners, but I think that - if a modeller already has some knowledge, he will adjust or simplify the material according to his abilities and possibilities.

What specifically concerns tsb, as well as the structure of the boat's hull, also rig and rigging is brought to perfection, primarily by its purposeful simplicity.
It is therefore difficult to simplify the rigging. On the other hand - unfortunately, the basic problem is that you do not have a living crew on your model ...
When I built my first barge model, I was also forced to compromise on how to modify the rigging to be both functional and easy to use when controlling the RC model.I was forced to simplify control of the sheets of the main sail and at vangs I missed the taclkes. Likewise, I missed the tackles used for sailing control, located at the foot of the main mast.
It is possible to omit the brails, these are not functional during the cruise, but it is an interesting detail that affects the appearance of the model....So we're back at the beginning ... you have to decide how your model will be complicated, and what will be possible and controllable.

I wish you a lot of success in modeling and racing

Tom

Eddie Lancaster20/05/2018 17:56:25
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi Tom, some interesting points you make there, I agree that you need to begin with a true, or as true as is possible, at the given scale, drawing of an actual prototype, it doesn't matter what that prototype is boat, plane, traction engine etc. it is then up to the builder and his skills as to how he uses the plans,it also depends on what the final model/ miniature is going to be used for, display only, museum piece? it then has got to be an accurate representation of the full size.

Where I am coming from is that I am using drawings that depict a particular vessel in great detail, but I want to be able to sail it, and as soon as you put RC into it you are deviating from the full size! so how far do you go down the simplification path to make a viable usable model?

Best wishes

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 20/05/2018 17:57:18

tomarack20/05/2018 18:50:19
143 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Eddie,

did you get my message? Maybe I could help you with some items.

How far I can go down the simplification , I replied in the last post.here basically intersects the functionality with the requirement for accuracy according to the original...and so you have to choose .. Fortunately, our RC models are not(many times)the category of accurate models of historic boats - but still a number of models could compete in both categories .. of such qualities, but my models do not reach.

As people are saying here - because of this,... my head does not have to ache ...

And  finally - when you look at the model on the water from a distance of two meters - so tiny miniature details are not visible anyway ... so everything is "shipshape and Nelson's fashion" ...

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 20/05/2018 18:53:41

Edited By tomarack on 20/05/2018 19:15:48

Eddie Lancaster20/05/2018 21:54:43
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi Tom, yes I did Get your message, I thought I had replied, I will do it again.

I suppose what I was trying to say or ask was what needs to be simplified to get a reliable working model and what scale detail can be left and even used to operate the model?

I have started to make the masts so that I can begin to understand how everything fits together and works.

Regards.

Eddie.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor