Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eddie Lancaster29/06/2021 13:39:03
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi,All, The first layer of planking is now coming along after I had considered the options. The first was to use 1/32" ply as the base for balsa planking, as I did when I built Veronica, but I had some 1mm. x 5mm. bass strips left over from deck planking, after trying this at the bow and stern, getting it around the quite sharp bend at the bow proved to be fairly easy, after wetting the ouside of the strip and tapering it so that it followed the shape set by the frames.

The stern is fairly gentle curve.

img_1188 jpg

The bow is consderably more rounded, but the dampened and tapered strips can be persauded to conform to the curve. Bass wood is close grained and doesn't split when pinned to the frames.

img_1192.jpg

img_1189.jpg

img_1190.jpg

The main length of the strip then lays easily across the frames.

The top layer of planking will be of 1.5mm. x 6mm. bass wood, I will have to make a couple of jigs to form the curve needed at the bow after boiling the plank ends for a couple of minutes and clamping to the jigs and allowed to dry over night.

Regards.,

Eddie.

Ray Wood 229/06/2021 15:08:56
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi Eddie,

Are you planning to have double thickness planking ?? I can't think why it would be required , I know Richard Chesney's drawings show a layer of ply with balsa planking overlay, but non of Peter Simmonds Veronica's have 2 layers, just 1/16" ply and epoxy resin inside, I would think your build could be the same ?

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster29/06/2021 15:36:37
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.Ray, I hadn’t thought about a single layer, I will have to see how it looks when the first layer is finished.

I was thinking that a second 1.5mm. thick layer would make sure all the joints in the first layer were covered and I would have a good base for the second layer to fix to, and I am hoping to get a scale finish to the hull, with the planks and joints showing through the paint finish.

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 229/06/2021 16:20:05
2546 forum posts
877 photos

Hi Eddie,

Please don't let my suggestion spoil your fun but I find planking a hull once is enough for me !

But you have the planked effect already and nobody see's the bottom, but if this could be awkward at the stem if you have allowed for a double thickness ?

Regards Ray (still raining)

Eddie Lancaster29/06/2021 17:28:41
849 forum posts
644 photos

Is it raining? Or have you got a sprinkler aimed at the window?wink.

I have allowed for a second layer at the bow, but I might cut the ends of the first layer back to the first frame, this frame is solid so would leave a cavity that if water got in there will be no way out for it, a balsa block there would fill the space and give a good base for the top layer of planks.

You are right I do like the challenge that planking presents, I am hoping that this one will be good enough not to have to cover up.

Regards.

Eddie, in sunny Northants.

Eddie Lancaster05/07/2021 19:03:44
849 forum posts
644 photos

The first layer of planks have now all been fitted to the frames.

img_1196.jpg

img_1197.jpg

A few places needed to be filled with some thin balsa and sanded back to give a level surface for the top layer of planks.

img_1198.jpg

Eddie.

Eddie Lancaster05/07/2021 19:03:46
849 forum posts
644 photos

The first layer of planks have now all been fitted to the frames.

img_1196.jpg

img_1197.jpg

A few places needed to be filled with some thin balsa and sanded back to give a level surface for the top layer of planks.

img_1198.jpg

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 05/07/2021 19:05:10

Tim Rowe05/07/2021 20:42:00
570 forum posts
577 photos

Relax Eddie

You are doing fine. I am going for three layers of planking. The first as a base like you to fill and fair where necessary. The second layer of balsa to give me some thickness and backing to work with and a final layer of mahogany planking arranged as close to scale as I can.

Good stuff with the tapered planking.

The Veronica plans and presumably wood pack lack frames where the shapes are the most radical. Your plans are better in that respect.

The thing is that Ray could make at least three models in the time it takes us to make 1/2 a model. Ray has talent that combines velocity and quality.

For scale planking it will be the garboard that is the most difficult and sets the scene for the rest of the planking and they always start from wider planks and have some edge shaping. I am actively searching for some drawings of a planking regime for a TSB if anyone can help.

Best regards

Tim R

Eddie Lancaster05/07/2021 21:36:26
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi. Tim, I am now thinking about the final layer of planking, as like you I would like to see the planking through the paint.

The garboard planks need to twist through 90 deg. at the bow, and will need to be formed on a jig after a few minutes in boiling water, the planks at the chine also need careful jointing both at the stern and bow.

I agree, Ray would be onto his next build and planning the one after that😄.

Regards.

Eddie.

Eddie Lancaster05/07/2021 22:24:15
849 forum posts
644 photos

Hi.again Tim, do these photo’s help? If you can download and expand them you can see the run and number of planks.

Eddie.dscf3288.jpgdscf3250.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor