Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 220/02/2018 16:57:53
1996 forum posts
712 photos

Hi All

SB Defiance is moored at Allington near Maidstone she is a new build barge in steel 2008, with many parts re-cycled from older barges, useful for reference for little Giralda

Regards Ray200218 007.jpg

Ray Wood 201/03/2018 11:53:37
1996 forum posts
712 photos

010318 006.jpgHi All

Well it was -5 degrees on the way into the office today, having worked at home for the last 2 days ! fair quantity of snow fell twice in Maidstone and more too come, little Giralda is ready for the water, with only a white staysail to complete her, If she shows promise on the water speedwise010318 005.jpg I may go the extra mile with more detailing

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster01/03/2018 16:18:01
695 forum posts
526 photos

Hi, Ray, That looks a really interesting boat, it would be nice to see it on the water. Is that your standard matt blue deck paint? it goes well with the sail colour.

Best wishes.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 202/03/2018 08:24:40
1996 forum posts
712 photos

Hi Eddie

Yes that's International non slip deck paint light blue, I have a litre tin !! I'm refurbishing a Mirror Dinghy down at Pevensey Bay SC and may buy some beige or grey, so this will open up the choice available for my models

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster02/03/2018 11:35:06
695 forum posts
526 photos

Morning Ray, Perhaps I should go down to the chandlers at Ramsgate harbour whilst I'm down here and see if I can get some beige for the deck of Ardent and for the boats that are in the pipeline!

Eddie.

Ray Wood 202/03/2018 13:54:34
1996 forum posts
712 photos

Hi Eddie

I would keep your wallet in your pocket ! I would think a litre of deck paint would be £25 !! I'd buy an emulsion paint sample pot and put some fine sand in it, would look the same and the amount the model gets wet in real time is minimal. Masked sections of coloured deck paint look really good on a overall colour of say white ?

Regards Ray

Andy Stoneman04/03/2018 19:35:37
128 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Ray, it sounds a little bit cool for sailing but I bet you can't wait to have Gerald in the water, You've made a really nice looking barge. The sail colour looks very original, Hard to get a colour like that here, Ive not sailed Windsor belle for awhile, Far too hot and muggy down on the water where I sail. I`m in the process of making a larger mainsail, I think mines too small as looking at barge pics they mainsail seems to sit right over the horse, mines at least and inch less of it. Hope it works.

Regards, Andy

Eddie Lancaster04/03/2018 20:41:03
695 forum posts
526 photos

Thanks for that suggestion Ray, I'm back home now and painting the deck is my next job, so I will look carefully at your suggested paint scheme, hope I will have some photo's later in the week.

Eddie

tomarack19/03/2018 21:37:54
125 forum posts
163 photos

Hi Ray,

and others...if you have some troubles with  access on my rajce albums

try first this web address please.. > http://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/

there are all my albums ...

Then you can browse - last photos are in tsb "Lady Daphne" album. I am slowly making next details , e.g rudder hinges and jackstay on the main mast. As I have Alu mast,(14/12/10mm) I had to fix it .So I made threaded M2 holes from the back of the mast, then glued M2 screws in. On these screws I soldered tin brass wire 1 mm , 250mm long.I have also used this on the Capricorn model..

Some older are in >tsb Capricorn and Capricorn leto 2017. as I wrote earlier

My woodcarvings are then  at page > starší »

greetings

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 19/03/2018 21:38:36

Edited By tomarack on 19/03/2018 21:43:33

Edited By tomarack on 19/03/2018 22:05:30

Ray Wood 221/03/2018 20:56:16
1996 forum posts
712 photos

Evening All, if it was OK for Dixon, It's OK with me !

My new 30" barge sailed well today at Bluewater, lovely sunny day fair breeze which increased through the morning without the staysail fitted she suffers with little weather helm, which shows how balanced she will be with one. Photos to follow.

Hi Tom, Lady Daphne looking good

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 21/03/2018 21:00:02

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor