Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 211/09/2018 16:18:02
1172 forum posts
487 photos

Hi Tom/Eddie,

I think most people in the UK have a copy of Richards booklet he used to give them out at the shows, I have several copies let me know if you need one, plans for Westmorland included . PM me your address if you would like a copy?

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster11/09/2018 18:25:44
445 forum posts
318 photos

Hi. Ray/Tom, Have just had a great day at Faversham, around 6 barges moored there, including Repertor and Ironside, I have added 3 photo's (out of total of 60) of Mirosa, TB that could be sister to Veronica with only a few minor differences to the drawing of Veronica.

Will post photo's when I have uploaded them to my albumblush.

Eddie.

Eddie Lancaster11/09/2018 18:31:35
445 forum posts
318 photos

the missing photo's

dscf3266 2.jpg

dscf3277 2.jpg

dscf3282 2.jpg

Eddie.

tomarack11/09/2018 19:02:12
104 forum posts
127 photos

Mirosa is very nice barge ,indeed! (I have not seen Veronica's plans ..perhaps as an info in Peter Simmonds short advertising film) 

I admire very professional pictures of Eddie too !!!!!

All the best

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 11/09/2018 19:15:58

Edited By tomarack on 11/09/2018 20:01:26

Eddie Lancaster15/09/2018 14:11:16
445 forum posts
318 photos

Hi. Ray, the booklet? arrived this morning, I didn't realise it was so comprehensive, that now gives me 3 barges to build! and with all the other literature I have and all the photo's I took of Mirosa I think I can now build a barge true to scale including the rigging, what appeared to be a daunting task a few months ago should now be fairly? dont know. easy!!

Many thanks for your help in getting me this far so quickly.

Eddie.

nick viner17/09/2018 14:22:32
10 forum posts

Hi everyone from a new member.

My name is Nick Viner and I was born at the Martello Tower at St Osythe Stone.

The last place I lived in UK. was Rowhedge I emigrated to Australia in 1972 after I left the Royal Navy.

I used to sail in the Colne Estuary all the time growing up. One of the sounds I loved was the clinking of Pauls on the barge windlasses early in the mornings over the misty river mouth.

The reason for this email is to ask all you barge builders if some 'rocker' is desirable in the bottom of a rc model TB.

I fly r/c planes but find after a long winter, which I might add is a bit warmer here than in Essex, I find a yearning to build a barge.Richard Chesney and I, have been in contact, he is talking about the James Piper model at about 42/3 inches.

Is this a good well shaped barge that sails well? Or should I be looking at another set of lines?

Any thoughts welcome.

Regards, Nick.

Reg Hale 117/09/2018 15:29:19
8 forum posts

Hi Nick

You will find the James Piper with a rocker bottom a fast and well handling barge.

Dave Watts at Mast Man dose a fiber glass hull

Regards, Reg.

Ray Wood 217/09/2018 15:55:41
1172 forum posts
487 photos

Hi Nick,

I have been sailing Richard's design Veronica for 4 seasons, she is a good performer and no rocker on the hull, boat speed is mostly about the rig & set up, my 30" Giralda has rocker and would have won the trophy this year but I missed one the marks never mind may do better next year

Regards Raybr eh ambo may 16 070.jpg

tomarack17/09/2018 19:45:24
104 forum posts
127 photos

Hi Nick,

look here, please ...

> https://docplayer.net/44439682-Building-a-model-thames-sailing-barge.html

one of the books describing in brief the construction of the tsb model

I found next source >    http://www.tonyscottageboatyard.co.uk/index.htm

I do not know if it still works ..maybe the boys here will know more about this possibility.

wishing success

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 17/09/2018 20:10:05

Ray Wood 217/09/2018 21:15:15
1172 forum posts
487 photos

Hi All,

I'm afraid Tony Williams is no longer with us but Dave Watts aka Mastman has an extensive range of hulls & fittings Veronica plans from S A R I K + CNC kit for the hull & Peter Simmonds DVD.

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
PremierJuly 2019
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor