Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
tomarack06/09/2018 12:15:47
104 forum posts
127 photos

Hi Ray,

I have Album with my Gusty Cat ,I just wanted to add some photos .. and I did not get it ... I do not know, I think older Albums can not edit for some reason.

I tried all this because I can not directly add photos here .. only via album... How do you do that?

Tom

tomarack06/09/2018 12:32:23
104 forum posts
127 photos

Hi Ray,maybe I found some way ,. somewhat I missed another option.. (professional blindness ??)

Tom

Eddie Lancaster07/09/2018 14:10:59
445 forum posts
318 photos

Hi. Ray/Tom,

I have at last taken some photo's of my TSB hull build so far.dscf3233.jpg

The hull planked with 3/32" balsa, I have put my 24" rule on so that the size can be gauged.

dscf3226.jpg

The topside with the 1/32" ply deck pieces cut and laid in place, the deck will be planked with balsa the same as the hull, only with 1/4" wide planks.

dscf3227.jpg

The rudder and its servo and linkage.

dscf3228.jpg

The main sail winch and tube for the keel.

dscf3230.jpg

The aft cabin and the covering boards and rails formed and ready for fitting.

dscf3231.jpg

The lee boards, one riveted with peco track pins, around .012" dia.!

Ray Wood 207/09/2018 21:25:20
1174 forum posts
488 photos

Hi Eddie,

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow I'm taking Veronica for a sail, did you make the rudder blade hollow for the extension you will need? Bring a camera, I'm with Chantry MBC

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster08/09/2018 21:07:11
445 forum posts
318 photos

Hi. Ray, it was really nice to meet you today at Headcorn, I'm sorry i missed you before I left.

It was also nice to see Veronica in person!

I hope I can meet up with you again sometime, perhaps at Bluewater or Hearne Bay?

I can't wait to get my TSB up and sailing now, but I have quite a way to go yet.

All the best.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 208/09/2018 21:25:30
1174 forum posts
488 photos

Hi Eddie,

Ditto, we did sail a few times, but as the pool was only 1 straw bale high the pool was fairly shallow and wary of running aground, I did,nt want to be the one who had to go paddling!! Veronica has now hibernated for the winter, great see your progress so far with your hull you will be proud of her when finished.

All the best Ray

tomarack10/09/2018 16:45:54
104 forum posts
127 photos

.Hi Eddie,

very nice model construction !!

As I see it, I had to build my Gusty Cat model like you. Expanded polystyrene as a base for .fiberglass hull plating was not a good idea.. as I had to use a lot of putty..The result was not proportional to the work done, as I can see now.

I am not completely satisfied with my work, but after using more of the putty and then spraying the model in black, the model looks pretty good...mainly for non-professionals.. But end good - all good...

All the best !!

Tom

Eddie Lancaster10/09/2018 20:23:02
445 forum posts
318 photos

Hi. Tom, Thank you for your kind remarks, am I correct in assuming that you do not have access to all the materials that we are fortunate to have here? If so it must be difficult to decide what to use to get the desired result.

Keep up the good work.

Eddie.

tomarack10/09/2018 22:51:45
104 forum posts
127 photos

Hi Eddie,

you're absolutely right.
For us (in CZ) it is problematic to get to GB materials. Postage is unbearably expensive, and so modellers are unbearable in GB to buy the necessary stuff. Unfortunately, the quality in some cases does not even correspond to the required amount (price and postage), especially when I take into account the exchange rate of our crown to the British pound (1Ł = 28,70 Kc,1€= 25,70 Kc).

So I have to say that scratchbuild is usually the only option here if we want to build models such as the Thames Barges,.Of course there are a number of kits available, where everyone can choose the model according to how he likes - and how much money he can spend for his hobby. ...I have several plans and books from GB, and I do not think about other things. If I can compare the real value of things, then the same thing is at least 3-4 times more expensive in GB than in our country ... that's life. we basically compare incomparable..

Tom

Edited By tomarack on 10/09/2018 22:54:47

tomarack11/09/2018 13:21:33
104 forum posts
127 photos

Hi Eddie,

do you know booklet by R. Chesney - Building a model TSB in Wood or GRP <??

Tom

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Shrek
Premier Thursday
PremierJuly 2019
Pendle Boilers
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor