Forum sponsored by Dremel

Thames Sailing Barge Stuff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
tomarack22/05/2018 18:23:55
104 forum posts
127 photos

Thanks Martin for warning,

however I know these problems . unfortunately I did not have a better and easier idea.

Likewise, the main mast of my first barge, Capricorn, is made and there are no problems yet

The mast is painted white, but the color does not hold on to it. ...the aluminum ... angry 2

Greetings

Tom

Martin Field 122/05/2018 18:31:25
560 forum posts
6 photos

Tom, if you're having problems with aluminium painting, try self-etch primer. I use it on everything from resin to aluminium and brass. Works well.

Martin

Eddie Lancaster23/05/2018 13:35:38
445 forum posts
318 photos

Hi Tom, I think I am getting to grips with this TSB stuff, at last, I reckon that the only way to go is all or nothing! looking at all the pictures of models they seem to show all the detail of the full size only in miniature.

My problem is I am used to building in either 1/3 or even 1/2 scale so 1/24 is a bit daunting, but it is sooo much lighter and easier to handle even if it is fiddly!

The hull is no problem bur the rigging is something else, but as I begin to make bits and pieces it all becomes self explanatory, and what appears to be a jumble of wires and ropes and sheets all have a place and a job to do, so understanding that makes the job of making and fitting all the bits and bobs easier., all I have got to now is count up all the sheaves, blocks etc. and start to make themfrown.

Eddie.

Martin Field 123/05/2018 13:39:47
560 forum posts
6 photos

Eddie, if you're having trouble with wooden boats and rigging you might enjoy Harold H. Underhill's superb treatises in 2 volumes on Plank on Frame Models. Apart from various construction forms there is a lot on prototype rigging and how to do it on models.

Cheers,

Martin

tomarack23/05/2018 15:09:34
104 forum posts
127 photos

Hi Martin,

Mr. Underhill's work is one of the basic sources in building models. I had a chance to see the book, it does not solve e.g. a special rigging at Thames barges, but rather tall ships. Therefore, in model construction barges would rather recommend you books that relate to this phenomenon.
On the Internet, I came across an interesting publications related to the rig cutters, schooners and square riggers.

The author acquaintances himself in a clear way with the basics of the rig in general. Of course, each ship was unique in its own way, and the precise execution of the rig can be found mostly in monographs.

,Lennarth Petersson Rigging - Period ship models

Rigging - Period - fore -and- aft Craft

greetings

Tom

Martin Field 123/05/2018 15:24:17
560 forum posts
6 photos

Tom, Underhill's works are a bit more than basic, but I know what you mean. However he does cover cutters, but perhaps not barges. I am completely uninterested in square sail ships. I am strictly a fore and aft man with only the Norfolk Wherry as a barge type of vessel for me and indeed will be making a Wherry next. I do appreciate the look of barges, but not their rig. I'm a fussy devil.

The second of the books you mention?? Could you extend the description a bit for me please?

Cheers,

Martin

tomarack23/05/2018 21:23:21
104 forum posts
127 photos

Martin,

I had chance to read book Barges by John Leather..The author describes a number of modifications, say, Thames Barges, as they changed,according to the designation and construction site around the shores of England and Scotland...e.g, Yacht barges, Barge yachts,The Keels from Lincolnshire and Yorkshire,Sloops and BillyBoys,Solent Barges,Cowes Ketch,Cornich Barges,Devon bges,the Trows,sailing Flats from Lancashire and Cheshire,Mersey flats,Gundalows and scows from US..

Just on the edge .. do you know the interesting Piscataqua Gundalow ?? ask Uncle Google...

Tom

tomarack23/05/2018 21:32:10
104 forum posts
127 photos

To Ray ...

please excuse us that we were somewhat distracted from your subject

If you would like to get acquainted with the material mentioned above, please let me know

Thanks once more

Tom

Martin Field 123/05/2018 21:56:02
560 forum posts
6 photos

Ho! you didn't mention my favourite and my next subject, the Norfolk and Suffolk Wherry, a vessel capable of sailing closer to the wind than any fore and aft sailing craft.

But John Leather is a fine author on "our" topics.

I have to make a small sailing barge model for a scenic accessory range for a model railway company. I have already done a Fifie fishing boat for them. But I had to buy a book about barges and really enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Martin

Ray Wood 223/05/2018 23:22:05
1172 forum posts
487 photos

Hi Tom,

We like the variety of interests, we have much experience in many fields of modelling between us it's good to share the knowledge

Regards Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
PremierJuly 2019
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor