By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

SLEC/Vintage Model Boats Thames Police Launch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john beynon 123/10/2017 09:44:49
3 forum posts

Has anyone built one of this kits? I'm finding lots of pictures of models being built and exterior photos but none of the final layouts chosen for the electronics and I'd love to see what people opted to do.

Dave Milbourn23/10/2017 13:59:30
4025 forum posts
282 photos

John

The model is very similar in size and layout to my little Huntress, which features in the latest issue of Model Boats (or so I'm told...). Layouts in this type of model don't vary that much, so have a good look at how I did it and it will give you a few ideas. The motor is mounted at the front with ESC as close as you can get, to minimise the length of the main power leads. The receiver and, in this case, the Lipomonitor, are fixed to the bulkhead with Velcro. The LiPo battery sits underneath the cockpit floor in a plywood tray, and the rudder servo is mounted right at the back.

p1020437.jpg

Dave M

john beynon 123/10/2017 14:19:54
3 forum posts

Hi Dave,

A great suggestion - which I'm doing already in fact. I'm going with a similar setup to yours. The only difference is the police launch is based on a box construction. The plans leave the layout inside to the builder, all you build is the box and the hull around it with formers - so you have to come up with your own solution to covering the motor and the electronics/batteries etc in the box so I was curious to see how other people have approached it,

Ray Wood 223/10/2017 16:09:42
2840 forum posts
988 photos

Hi John

The main feature of these fullsize launches is the rear half of the cockpit is open with only a box in the middle for the engine, there is an excellent model in the National Maritime Museum collection and 4 good photos of the original Police launches for reference, the originals were round bilge hulls cold moulded in Teddington. There is a rear deck and locker and the way the kit is built round a box, some potential for ballast under the side decks ?

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 223/10/2017 16:22:37
2840 forum posts
988 photos

Hi John

This is a photo of the NMM model from the website

Regards Raypolice launch 001.jpg

Chris Fellows24/10/2017 13:42:41
1196 forum posts
752 photos

Hi Dave - interesting that you have used one of those couplings with the rubber centre section in your Huntress.

I was considering using one in my Swordsman build as looks a nice neat solution but read somewhere (Colin I think) that the rubber was quite stiff and I was concerned that it might put stress on the motor and prop shaft if not aligned accurately.

My intention is to align as accurately as possible but to use double Huco couplings to minimize any stresses. I do like the rubber ones though.

Chris

Ian Gardner24/10/2017 17:11:37
566 forum posts
1 photos

I would only ever use a rubber coupling like these in a faster boat now as they are quieter. I read somewhere that the Huco type couplings are only designed for revs up to about 10,000. They are certainly much noisier and therefore, presumably, less efficient.

I think it would be worth taking a lot of trouble to get a good alignment and double couplings take up a lot of space.

Ian

Dave Milbourn24/10/2017 17:15:31
4025 forum posts
282 photos

Chris

I now use the SHG small flexible couplings, and the rubber is quite a lot more than the diameter of the Model Boat Bits one in the picture! The metal parts are hardened steel, too, but they were designed for powerful I/C racing motors of up to about 5cc (or 350W). If you use a rigid aligner when you fit the motor and shaft then there should be negligible misalignment. The price is eye-watering at nearly fifteen quid a shove plus £3.50 P&P but they are super-smooth. I read somewhere that those Huco double couplings are only rated for a very low speed (something like 5000RPM I think). Overkill? Maybe, but when I've spent a long time and more than a few quid building a model I don't want the coupling to fly apart and reduce the boat to a soggy pulp on the floor of the lake. Brushless motors take no prisoners.

shg mini flexible coupling.jpg

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 24/10/2017 17:17:13

Chris Fellows24/10/2017 20:44:42
1196 forum posts
752 photos

The couplings I've ordered are the better quality Raboesch nylon ones but even so I think the rubber type are the better option.

Dave, I haven't skimped so far on getting the bits and pieces together so I'm not going to start now! Even bought another Tx, Hitec of course.

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor