Forum sponsored by Dremel

Advice Sought

Motor for

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Harrison 408/10/2017 17:22:01
25 forum posts
13 photos

Hi, Can I please ask for advice on what motor would be best for my old 34" wooden "Wave Princess". Rather heavy and used to be powered by an ED 2,5cc Hunter Diesel. The boat needs refurbishing and of course I would like to fit a standard brushed motor upto 12v. I would like the model to plane. I have a 777 motor fitted within my old 34" Crash Tender which goes well but understand they are no longer available. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Noel08/10/2017 18:37:42
250 forum posts
70 photos

An MFA Torpedo 850 did the trick for me in my Wavemaster that I finished this year. Runs at 12v, planes well and doesn't get too warm. 35mm two blade x prop.

Ian Harrison 408/10/2017 18:55:57
25 forum posts
13 photos

Cheers Noel, it is great to get actual practical advice.

ashley needham11/10/2017 16:52:02
7645 forum posts
159 photos

The 850 is ok up to an x50, but you are not likely to need such a big prop, The 2 blade types are very cheap and perhaps a small selection round the 40-45mm size in X and S form would allow you to experiment to get the best performance/current draw.

Ashley

Dodgy Geezer11/10/2017 17:56:46
818 forum posts
59 photos

Out of interest, what size (or type) of brushless would you fit to such a boat? I have quite a few old Aerokits needing restoration...

Ian Harrison 411/10/2017 18:55:15
25 forum posts
13 photos

Thank you Ashley, good advice and an interesting point about the brushless motor. I put a 777 motor in my Crash Tender because I was not able to get any proper information from the model shops, it was a case of trial and error, but at the serious costs that is not really possible. So any answers to this question would be interesting.

Thanks to all and best regards.

Dave Milbourn12/10/2017 08:17:40
4025 forum posts
282 photos

CEM 750 motor is suitable for Aerokits Sea Commander, which is more or less identical in size and hull shape to Wave Princess. **LINK**

777, as far as I can remember, was a slow-revving high-torque motor.

Dave M

ashley needham12/10/2017 08:45:55
7645 forum posts
159 photos

Brushless motor selection:

The way I look at it is.....a 28mm motor is good for anything up to 40 ish mm prop, 35mm motor anything above (but not ridiculously large, say 60mm).
Choose the sort of power you want to have, decide on the revs, decide what battery (voltage) you will be using and hence determine the Kv of the motor (revs divided by volts).

To my mind this gives a starting point. Motors in any one size come in a variety of power ratings and the lower Kv ones have more torque, and the price varies somewhat. Turnigy do quite a range of motors of good quality and price, for instance. I have been using Fusion motors, also quaite a good make, but there are very cheap smaller ones on e-bay and these seem to work well enough.

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
SLEC
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor