By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

New to Steam - what to use in Victoria

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Donald Newton13/09/2017 15:25:22
2 forum posts

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have recently purchased a Krick 'Victoria' model Steam Launch to build. Although I am not new to boat modelling, I am new to Steam Power.

I therefore find myself in a quandary regarding the appropriate steam plant to use on this 1:10 scale and 1077mm long model steam launch.

It goes without saying that it needs to look the part for this era and size of boat, therefore a vertical boiler would be the right choice.

The Krick recommended 'Victor 2' steam plant is available but no longer manufactured I therefore have concerns about future support for spares etc.

Similarly, the Regner midi steam plant is in the same situation.

Stuart Models have a Puffin on sale which looks good but again no longer manufactured. I am not sure in the longer term, as spares/parts become scarce, this is a good buy.

I have also looked at the Libra Vertical Plant Kit and TVR steam engines.

Has anyone got any views on which plant will be suitable to power my model in the inevitable choppy waters you find on most sailing ponds/lakes etc.

I believe a Twin Cylinder engine should give it the best chance.

What about ancillaries.

I realise that I cannot just fix it in the model boat and off we go!What other equipment do I need to get to a go state? -

- Condenser tank ​What size should it be?

- Gas Tank What size and what sot of gas do you recommend to use with the boiler?

- Boiler How big should the boiler be?

- Additional FittingsSilicone tubing or is fixed copper best for connecting to ancillary equipment?

-Steam stop valveTo shut off steam to the engine required?

-Syphon PipeWhat is the purpose of the syphon pipe?

- Nice to have maybe?

Steam Electric gas regulator?

Brass Oil Cups?

Servo gas valve?

whistle valve?

What Else?

I realise this is a bit of an ask but if you could comment on the above I would appreciate it.

Are there any Books, References or Links you can give me so that I can understand how the plant works and how to operate/maintain a steam plant correctly.

I have three cost options presently,

LIBRA (£650 + Condenser, gas tank etc. + del)

Puffin (£650 + Condenser, gas tank etc. + del)

SMS Clyde 3" (£698 (includes condenser & gas tank) +del £35

I look forward to your replies and hope to input into how I get on over the build and final sailing stages

Kev.W14/09/2017 01:33:15
341 forum posts
38 photos

Not a steam man myself, but take a look at our local outlet **LINK**

Ian Gardner14/09/2017 10:12:42
566 forum posts
1 photos

Hello Donald,

I have built some steam models in the past and used Cheddar plants which were excellent. However, I'm no expert.

Obviously Cheddar are no more, but a former employee, Jerry Watson ( I think) runs Clevedon Steam and you already know about him. I suggest you contact him and ask for suggestions. The Krick Victoria was a very well known boat so he will know just what you need. I should think any of the plants you mention would suffice.

**LINK**

In my opinion, silicone tubing for ancillaries like a sludge tank is OK in an enclosed boat but for an open launch it might look better to plumb in with copper tube. It is also my opinion (and only that) that electronic boiler control complicates things unnecessarily on a boat like this. You should get twenty minutes from a boiler you are likely to use then you have the fun of bringing her in and tending to the fire and water.

Whistles are fun but soon use up steam if you aren't judicious in their use.

I used to know the purpose of the syphon on the pressure gauge- I think it's to make sure the gauge is operated by water rather than steam.

Stan Bray wrote a book about model marine steam which is quite useful.

**LINK**

There was also a Traplet book about steamboats called Scale Model Steamboats by Phillip Vaughan Williams

**LINK**

Traplet store is closed but this copy is on Amazon- price is a bit steep it seems to me!

I see you can still buy Jim King's book and that would still provide good background although quite old now.

**LINK**

The best bit of advice is to join a club with knowledgeable people if at all possible. I don't know where you are in the country but Cheddar Steam Club has people who know all about this stuff.

**LINK**

Others on this forum will have greater knowledge than me but I hope some of this helps.

Ian

Trevor Drabble 114/09/2017 15:33:50
74 forum posts

Donald , May I suggest you also look at the pages of Forest Classics , Miniature Steam Models , Black gates and Stuarts , all of which I think you will find of interest .

Trevor .

Donald Newton18/09/2017 17:30:34
2 forum posts

Thank you Ian & Trevor for your replies to my post. Ian -

I will be contacting Jerry this week sometime as I am away and he is also. I am looking into the book links also. Although I live in Nelson's County, model Boat clubs are a bit thin on the ground near King Lynn! Trevor -

Thanks for the links I have bookmarked these sites for future reference. Don

Trevor Drabble 118/09/2017 18:25:01
74 forum posts

Donald , Thought you may be interested to know that Mobile Marine Models from near Lincoln have an open day 25th November , which will be attended by a number of other manufacturers as well . Details on their web page under Calendar .

Trevor

Ian Gardner19/09/2017 20:15:08
566 forum posts
1 photos

Yes, Donald- a bit of a trek from Kings Lynn to Cheddar!

Ian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor