Forum sponsored by Dremel

Your best tooling?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Dickinson 111/09/2017 21:40:42
110 forum posts
66 photos

Belt sanderBench disk sander

I put this in the 'soapbox' as there is no thread for this kind of post that I can find.

Over the years I have collected quite a few hand tools and electrically operated ones which I call time savers. I mostly use my metal working tools, however with making the Panache yacht I am using tools that I have not used for a while.

My B and D belt sander was very useful for cleaning up,the inside of the formers, but best of all was my 6" disk sander which I made when I was 21. Over the years I have used it for all sorts of things, sharpening drill, cutters, shaping wood etc. This has to be the best tool I have as I always get good results from using it.

Recently, in the last two years I bought a burgess band saw, which I love. This has cut all sorts of things for me and I have not broken a blade, which was one of the things I was really concerned about when buying it.

What's the best tool etc in your armoury?

Brian

ashley needham12/09/2017 09:16:42
5355 forum posts
290 photos

Brian. Bandsaw (small and large), desk belt sander. How I ever made anything without a bandsaw I will never know!!

​Ashley

dscf0145.jpg

Edited By ashley needham on 12/09/2017 09:21:13

Ray Wood 212/09/2017 09:43:20
708 forum posts
407 photos

Brian

Myford Super 7 best investment you'll ever make

Regards Rayrhdr may 17 002.jpg

Dodgy Geezer12/09/2017 10:38:35
818 forum posts
59 photos

Hoffnung reminds us of the man who was asked what his favourite part of the body was. He replied: "My navel - because I eat celery in bed and it's a very convenient place to keep the salt..."

Dodgy Geezer12/09/2017 12:23:45
818 forum posts
59 photos

For me it's the multi-tool - this sort of thing: **LINK**

Brian Dickinson 112/09/2017 14:41:13
110 forum posts
66 photos

Ray. I was a Boxford man until I bought a Chester crusader. Still wish I had the boxford😩

Bri

Dave Milbourn12/09/2017 18:08:29
3345 forum posts
199 photos

While I also have a powered band-saw, scroll saw and pillar drill my most-used and most useful tool is a Permagrit block. When used in conjunction with a simple shooting board I get dead straight, perpendicular edges to wooden sheet parts every time, which makes gluing up a pleasure.

shooting board.jpg

i also have a set of six cork-boring tools which cut very clean holes in balsa and liteply. They were first on my replacement list when some kind soul broke into my shed and took most of my tools back in 198-frozen to death.

cork boring tools.jpg

Dave M

Brian Dickinson 113/09/2017 09:48:20
110 forum posts
66 photos

Hi Dave. How do the cork tools work ?

Bri

Dave Milbourn13/09/2017 18:05:09
3345 forum posts
199 photos

They were designed to punch holes in the corks and stoppers used in a science lab e.g. for glass tubes to be inserted. Each one is a plated steel tube which is sharpened around its bottom edge. You select the right diameter tube, place it against the marked position of the hole you want to bore and screw it into the wood, rather like a corkscrew, with the pad on the top in the palm of your hand. Use the solid rod to clear the wooden plug from the tube and you're ready for the next cut. Resharpen with either a needle file or by reaming around the inside of the sharp end with a very sharp blade.

You can also obtain 12-part sets but they're much more expensive. Co-Op Insurance kindly stumped up for my 6-part set - looks like I missed a trick there!

DM

David Marks 113/09/2017 20:06:50
204 forum posts
44 photos

My favourite piece of tooling in a small milling machine. I build models from scratch and this machine does a great amount of work. From simple things like making coming strips, all the same size and nice and parallel. Through to making superstructure which I normally make from styrene sheet. Cabin sides are roughed out, held together with small pieces of double sided tape, clamped to a piece of MDF or chipboard and milled to shape, square, parallel and a matching pair Port and Starboard.

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Shrek
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Meridienne Nov 18
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor