Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Feature Plan – Varmint

Feature Plan – Varmint

John Goodyear presents a competitive new RG65 plan feature design

Eddie Lancaster22/08/2017 13:27:05
272 forum posts
201 photos

Hi all, I have just returned to model boats after around 35 years (I got hooked on the engineering side after building a steam plant to power a model of Cervia.)

Having just had a hip replacement and waiting for another I decided I needed something a bit lighter to handle than lumps of cast iron for a half size traction engine! so having spotted the picture of Varmint on the cover of M.B. I went for it, Paul from MB kindly sent me the pdf of the plan that I had printed off but it is only one sheet of the hull plan, side elevation and the frames but no dimensions. This has not been a problem so far, the hull is now nearly finished but I will need measurements for all the sail fixings etc. on the deck, can anyone help?

Thanks Eddie.

Ray Wood 222/08/2017 14:26:38
839 forum posts
427 photos

Hi Eddie

I would have a look at Dragon Force RG65 yachts images on google to give you an idea of the sheeting set up, and all the setting out points are on the drawing for the rig, the mast has no shrouds, the back stay stops the mast falling out if inverted. Which details/dims were you looking for ? I thought the build article photos were excellent by John.

Regards Ray DF65 no.943

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 22/08/2017 14:27:56

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 22/08/2017 14:29:42

Eddie Lancaster22/08/2017 15:04:20
272 forum posts
201 photos

Thanks John, I agree the article is good and the photos show a lot, I have just looked at the drawings again, your right the positions of the eyes etc. are there, just a lot fewer than the Dragon Force boats!

Many thanks

Eddie

Ray Wood 222/08/2017 16:28:27
839 forum posts
427 photos

Hi Eddie

The best idea for sheeting on the DF65 is the running line on the deck tensioned with elastic to which the main and jib sheets are attached, I'd avoid under deck sheeting arrangements they tangle easily I find. Happy rigging !

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster23/08/2017 07:16:09
272 forum posts
201 photos

Hi Ray, first my apologies for calling you John, another senior moment, they seem to be getting more frequent these days!

Yes I had wondered what the elastic cord was for in the spares list for the DF65, I will be fitting one.

Thanks for your help, I now know where I am going with this build and everything is on order to complete my boat.

Regards Eddie

Ray Wood 223/08/2017 08:56:28
839 forum posts
427 photos

Hi Eddie

You will have good fun sailing this little yacht, variety is the spice of life I have a 75% complete 5" gauge Boxhill Terrier which has been on and off the bench for about 8 years so far

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster31/08/2017 15:52:17
272 forum posts
201 photos

Hi. All

I have just cast the 2 lead weights for the keel bulb for Varmint, I turned the plug on the lathe to a close copy as drawn on the plan, but my problem is, that one side, after cleaning up, weighs in at 500 grams- the weight that both pieces should be, so, is 500 grams the correct weight for this size of boat or mine at double the weight?

Once again many thanks for any help you can give me.

Eddie.

Ian Bell 120/10/2017 16:31:23
21 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Eddie,

If you get stuck, Pj Sails sell a RG65 precast lead which weighs in at about 485 grams ready to fit to the fin. That is about in the middle of the Varmint's range and I think that it is about £18 to buy.

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Premier Thursday
Shrek
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor