HMS Queen Elizabeth

Arrival at Portsmouth 16 August 2017

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Wooley17/08/2017 20:11:40
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

img_1896.jpgHi Paul and Ashley Looking at the size of QE it's not that much smaller than the Nimitz class of US carriers . Keeping that in mind it reminds me of the 1:144 scale carriers built by Paul Bannon and how he has solved some of the issues raised here regarding a working model of the QE.

1 For transport Paul Bannon has divided his hull of just under 7ft into two manageable sections which can be transported in specially constructed cradles that slot into the rear of his vehicle with room to spare.

2 For lifting his USS Harry S Truman Paul uses the simple but effective expedient of a small aluminium ladder

For a single piece hull then even the relatively small scale of 1:144 can become a transport problem .Perhaps 1:192 would be more suitable giving a model of around 5ft in length a size Ashly made mention of. Of course that still leaves the problem of modellers draughts . The underwater detail is partly known as there are plenty of pictures out there on the net but it's refining those pictures to give a suitable hull form that a model make can interpret .

img_2061.jpg

img_2054.jpg

ashley needham18/08/2017 08:36:03
6590 forum posts
144 photos

David. That is an impressive model. Even more impressive is the support engineering that goes with it!!

​There is a third aspect to all this and that is storage. The Harry S is demonstrably transportable, but the footprint of this model in the shed/garage is considerable, and one assumes he has a hard top cover for storage (not used for transportation).

​It is a shame that, once the island(s) and plug in aircraft have been removed, the ship could not fold in half like a pasting table ....

​If you have a large model, you just have to have a lot of space to put it somewhere!

Ashley

Tony Hadley18/08/2017 10:19:05
897 forum posts
536 photos

David,

Returning back to the small scale HMS Queen Elizabeth, I had a look in the digital archive at you article and it was in the February 2014 issue. Always good to see your Telford reports, I sometimes like a change and build a plastic (static) kit. In our NW region the IPMS are in Bolton and have a show in the winter months, although I doubt ships/boats will be well represented. Had Airfix launched a model it would have solved some of the problems in building an r/c version, just up-scale the kit.

Must say I changed the subscription to print+digital to allow access to past magazines (for reading such as this), how many times have I wished I had kept that issue! and it still works out cheaper than the WHS/Newsagents price.

David Wooley18/08/2017 10:48:27
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

Ashely

From past experience your comments regarding the practicalities of storage of large models is spot on . The other major difficulty in building any model over 5ft is the complication of turning the model through 190 if like me your model ship building facility is a small 8x4 shed at the bottom of the garden with most of the airbrushings undertaken out of doors on a very calm day , which is no bad thing .

Tony

I completely endorse what you say regards the use of a small scale injection model to build a larger scale replica . This I did to some extent when I built the Soviet helicopter carrier Moskva . Although I had a very basic set of modellers draughts and some excellent photos of the full size vessel the old 1:350 Airfix model was a big asset .

Dave Milbourn18/08/2017 11:20:16
3999 forum posts
282 photos

One of our customers from the west country had a similar problem when his model railway layout began to threaten his existence................so he bought the bungalow next door for it! I seem to recall he told me that there are regular coach parties coming to view this layout. I can't remember the chap's name but I think he was a member of the Shepton Mallet MBC.
DM

Colin Bishop20/12/2017 16:32:42
4514 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

QE at Portsmouth today 20/12/17. Looks huge compared with the smaller carriers that used to berth there.

Lot of media hype recently about the notorious leak but do the maths and it is roughly the same as leaving a bathroom tap running!

Colin

qe december 2017 (1).jpg

qe december 2017 (2).jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 20/12/2017 16:33:09

ashley needham20/12/2017 16:49:14
6590 forum posts
144 photos

For something as complicated as a vessel this big it obvious that there will be issues to be fixed. They just like to big-up any sort of issues for sensationalism.

​I could never understand how steam locomotives could run as reliably as they do considering the huge amount of piping and large moving bits of metal involved, not to mention all that heat

Ashley

Paul T21/12/2017 12:43:21
7146 forum posts
1208 photos
2 articles

Due to government cuts the quality and quantity of close in defensive armaments have been drastically reduced.qe december 2017 (1).jpg

Tim Cooper11/01/2018 09:11:28
371 forum posts
161 photos

Not sure if it's true but I read that our latest (or is it only) Aircraft Carrier can have 30+ planes but will only have 12 because of budget constraints!

Tim

Edited By Colin Bishop on 11/01/2018 10:25:30

Colin Bishop11/01/2018 11:06:41
4514 forum posts
6066 photos
398 articles

Tim, Queen Elizabeth is one of two, the other is Prince of Wales which is still completeing. The design accommodates about 36 F35B strike aircraft plus some helicopters but the UK can't afford to buy them all at once so yes, there are only likely to be a dozen or so aboard initially.

The ships could have been built for far less than the cost currently being quoted if it were not for the constant political indescisiveness and deliberately extended construction period.

I suspect they will actually turn out to be effective designs, they displace around three time the tonnage of the old Invincible cllass but need ony the same crew level. They are also big enough to be upgraded and improved which should give them a long service life. Until the Type 45 destroyers were built the RN had been plagued with designs which were 'just big enough' and incapable of major upgrades which meant that they either became obsolescent too soon or were disposed of after a relatively short period.

Unfortunately the Government are now reverting to form, having learnt nothing, and descided they can't afford a full complement of Type 26 frigates so are replacing them with the proposed Type 31 which will be designed down to a price rather than to a specification and with an eye to foreign sales. Quite why they believe that second class ships will attract large foreign orders is beyond my understanding. We shall probably just end up with oversized and overpriced ocean patrol vessels which are too big for the lesser role and too small to deputise for first line ships.

Hopeless!

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor