HMS Queen Elizabeth

Arrival at Portsmouth 16 August 2017

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Bishop16/08/2017 18:51:49
4480 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

My daughter and I got up at 3:30 am to drive down to Portsmouth to view the entry of HMS Queen Elizabeth into her home port.. Here are a few photos. The event will be featured in a Gallery in Model Boats Magazine.

Colin

album l img_6950.jpg

album l img_6957.jpg

album l img_6961.jpg

album l img_6975.jpg

album l img_6989.jpg

album l img_6999.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 16/08/2017 18:52:57

ashley needham16/08/2017 19:09:59
6498 forum posts
224 photos

Colin. You are so keen:

​I was going to say what other country would comission an aircraft carrier with no aircraft, or the prospect of any reasonable amount of aircraft for many years, but I wont. It is too painful a subject.

​Ashley. 

Edited By ashley needham on 16/08/2017 19:10:13

Edited By ashley needham on 16/08/2017 19:10:26

Edited By ashley needham on 16/08/2017 19:10:45

Edited By ashley needham on 16/08/2017 19:10:52

Colin Bishop16/08/2017 19:37:28
4480 forum posts
6055 photos
396 articles

Well, it's supposed to have a 40 year service life so there is scope to compensate for culpable political inadequacies.

I must say that having watched previous carriers being towed away for demolition it was nice to see one coming the other way at last.

Big flat tops will always come in useful.

Colin

Dave Milbourn16/08/2017 20:19:55
3995 forum posts
282 photos

Well, it's supposed to have a 40 year service life

The Top Brass were talking about 50 years this morning.....but that's inflation for you.

Big flat tops will always come in useful.

Especially this type.....

hummingbird.jpg

Gonna get me one o' they some time soon....

DM

David Wooley16/08/2017 23:49:33
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

I was in Portsmouth last week for 3 days but just couldn't extend my stay . Great shots Colin and I would have loved to have been there .I'll have to wait till QE comes to Liverpool . I just wonder how long it will be before we see a working model or static model .

Tony Hadley17/08/2017 08:46:44
897 forum posts
536 photos

Good photographs Colin.

David,

A 1:350 scale, commissioned model was produced by plastic kit manufacturer Airfix back in 2014 -

**LINK**

I read this item from 2014 and apparently it was released as a kit, but caused some upset as there were no aircraft -

**LINK**

The latest news says the company aren't in a rush to produce a model which will appear in the shops -

**LINK**

There was also a 1:200 scale model of the carrier back in 2008 -

**LINK**

David Wooley17/08/2017 10:50:54
599 forum posts
702 photos
8 articles

Hi Tony yes I recall taking a few pictures of the Airfix model of QE at the IPMS Scale Model World Telford .back in 2013. I asked then if such a model was on the cards ,the reply was possibly but only when the full size vessel is commissioned. With Gerry Hitch of Jecabin no longer producing good working modellers draughts of RN warships that does limit the availability of a good representative drawings . I do hope there is some one out their ready to have a go but Gerry Hitch was a past master and even with the limited information of the hull form could turn to a produce a drawing which was hard to beat. Jecabin drawings of course are still available.

Paul T17/08/2017 15:11:57
7116 forum posts
1202 photos
2 articles

Hello Colin

We should all thank you and your daughter for making the long drive and securing some very useful photographs. I hope that you can claim the fuel back as a business expense.

Hello Ashley

Even though I think that this ship is one of the best examples of current maritime design I have to agree that without operational aircraft it is something of a white elephant but I'm sure the Royal Navy will make the best use of both ships with helicopters and existing fixed wing aircraft.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but which idiot thought that it would be a good idea to commission the building of two aircraft carriers without ordering a few planes as well. Its not as if it is a difficult decision....after all the clue is in the name Aircraft Carrier.

Hello David

I am sure that, even as we discuss this matter, someone somewhere is toiling over a CAD screen producing a set of drawings for the model enthusiast. Its a good job that people like yourself and Colin are so diligent in taking detailed photographs as they can be an invaluable source of information for whomever might be undertaking the task.

I would imagine that the final scale might be a matter of debate given the huge size of the ship, should the scale be large enough so the the model builder might use 'Airfix' type models as deck ornamentation or should the model be small enough to fit into a family car?

Perhaps the issue of scale might be discussed here as I am sure that many people will have an opinion.

Paul

ashley needham17/08/2017 15:36:30
6498 forum posts
224 photos

There are two issues with aircraft carrier models.

First is having planes to populate the deck with. Its what carriers are all about. I have yet to see small enough F35B models to suit, although it may be possible to mould your own at this small size.....leading on to...

Secondly the size. As big as possible really but what is a car sized model??? about 5 foot long in my car and of course bearing in mind the width of the thing. Any larger and there are serious transport issues.

​A 5 foot model would be about 15 inches wide?? I think that's about right.. A very reasonable "presence" on the pond.

​Ashley

Paul T17/08/2017 18:13:31
7116 forum posts
1202 photos
2 articles

Ashley

The model can always be built in sections and assembled at the lakeside, or transported on a trailer.

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Nylet
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier Thursday
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor