Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Dremel

Graupner Wiesel RC setup

Action Electronics

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Edwards 1810/08/2017 10:19:00
6 forum posts

Good morning. I have just joined the forum and 1st off I should say I am not 18 as my profile shows. I obviously missed something when I signed up!!

OK I used to make static boat kits many years ago before I return ed to my 1st love of model railways. However during a recent clear out in the loft I found a Graupner Wiesel kit I bough in the early 1980's. It looks a pretty straightforward build but I would like some help on 2 subjects.

The first is motors for it. The recommended motors are 500 Speed E but they are no longer made. There are lots of "540" size motors out there but I would like to use "545" 5 pole motors. The choice there seems a little more limited so does anyone have any views on what is out there?

My 2nd question is about the RC set up for controlling multiple motors. I came across Action Electronics ( now The Components Shop) set up for the Wiesel and although it isn't cheap it looks to be a good setup. It uses their P94 dual ESC and a single CondorP80 for the 3rd motor. They have additional bits for switching on things like Radar and lights. Has anyone used their equipment? Any thoughts about it and if it is any good? Any help will be most welcome.

Trevor Drabble 110/08/2017 11:40:27
55 forum posts

John, With respect to motors may I suggest you consider these **LINK** who are presently listing the type of motor you mentioned .

Tim Cooper10/08/2017 12:12:50
365 forum posts
158 photos

John

I have used Action / Component Shop components on a number of models. No problems except the ones I caused. They are always very helpful if you contact them by phone or EMAIL.

Tim

Dave Milbourn10/08/2017 14:34:49
3995 forum posts
282 photos

John

This 5-pole motor should be more or less equivalent to the old 500E on 12v **LINK** They are available direct from MFA. Don't even think about using a sealed lead-acid battery in that model - far too heavy. A ten-cell NiMH or 3S LiPo pack will do a much better job. BTW the P92/3 shown in the wiring diagram is now sold as P102.
ACTion Electronics have an excellent reputation - I should know; I solder 'em up for Component Shop!

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 10/08/2017 14:38:37

Paul T10/08/2017 15:03:07
7116 forum posts
1202 photos
2 articles

Hello John

ACTion equipment is very well made and stands up to a lot of abuse, their P98 is the only speed controller that I use on my 24v and 30v motors.

Very courteous and helpful after sales service

As long as you don't get Mr Grumpy in the soldering dept wink 2

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 10/08/2017 15:04:06

Cookie10/08/2017 15:15:09
116 forum posts

John,I have bought loads of Action Electronics parts over the years and I have never ever had any issues ,OK you can buy cheaper ESC,s but in my opinion they are not as robust as the Action ones.Also if you look on the Action website you can view plenty of circuit diagrams for plenty of different applications ,they are drawn in a very simple way and easy to understand if you a not that good with normal circuit diagrams.☺

Dave

Empire Parkstone10/08/2017 17:05:48
219 forum posts
8 photos

Mines runs on Graupner 600 7..2 V more than adequate you should be able to find some around

Dave Milbourn10/08/2017 18:29:09
3995 forum posts
282 photos

Gliders appear to have them in stock, although the picture doesn't match the text **LINK**

I'd hedge my bet and go for the P94 20A version with these - it's only three quid more and that might just be the difference between a good 'un and a bust 'un!

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 10/08/2017 18:30:40

Empire Parkstone10/08/2017 19:20:23
219 forum posts
8 photos

No Dave these are the ones I have

https://www.howesmodels.co.uk/product/Graupner%20Speed%20600%207.2v%20Motor

John Edwards 1810/08/2017 21:47:54
6 forum posts

Well what a response. Many thanks to everyone that has replied.

For sure any concerns I had about Action Electronics have been allayed and I can confirm that the 2 emails I sent them recently were responded to very quickly. So that is the first issue solved and I will beprdering the parts from them tomorrow.

As for the motors I will look a little more. I do have a decent model shop near me so I think a visit there to see what they have may be called for.

Once again many, many thanks for all the replies.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor